Technical Advice needed on sump drain plug

Currently reading:
Technical Advice needed on sump drain plug

stephenbebop

Hi all
In a bit of a pickle I need to do an oil and filter change and my sump drain plug is stuck. The last owner has rounded of the hex and chiseled the edge of the plug. Any ideas on how to get it out without dropping the sump. Its a sedici 1.9 jtd with alloy sump so I am a little worried about hitting it with a hammer as Ive herd they can split. Regards Stephen

Hi.

You may be able to get it off with mole grips.

Alternatively, something like this could give you enough bite on the head:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-5-piece-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/96028

As you say, it's not a good place to be whacking things with a great big hammer, but that said:

You might be able to tap it around using a pin punch or chisel. Alternatively, a socket one size smaller may go on the head with a little persuasion and then give you enough grip.

Obviously, you'll want to have a new plug handy ready to fit when you do get it off!

Another option would be to buy an oil extractor pump, such as the Pela 6000

There's always mixed opinions on the effectiveness of oil extraction, over sump draining, but it is an option for you, and apparently some garages use them too.

Hi all
In a bit of a pickle I need to do an oil and filter change and my sump drain plug is stuck. The last owner has rounded of the hex and chiseled the edge of the plug. Any ideas on how to get it out without dropping the sump. Its a sedici 1.9 jtd with alloy sump so I am a little worried about hitting it with a hammer as Ive herd they can split. Regards Stephen

Hi,
these all have to be hammered over the damaged bolt head !!,
- personally I would CAREFULLY use an angle-grinder to make 2 x new "FLATS" across the bolt head , and then use a LARGE adjustable spanner to undo it,

worked a treat on my old sump - the heat from the grinding also helps free things off,
Charlie :)

NOT in my experience , (n)
the difference in widths of it's "jaws" mean that it will not give a decent grip on anything protruding less than @10mm,
conventional "stillsons" will have the same basic effect without the mis-match of jaw faces,
but again,
I would still use an angle grinder / DREMEL and a Decent brand (BAHCO etc, -where the jaws WILL remain parallel ) Adjustable spanner,;)

Charlie

Hi all
Just an update Charlie was right Angle grinder and big adjustable did the trick
Thanks to all for help especially Charlie. Regards Stephen.

hello, If it was me if you know anyone who has a electric welder or cheap garage, ask them to spot weld a oversize not that just fits over the sump plug. it only takes a minute to do-always works and makes your next oil change easier anyway.

Back