Technical accelerator cable

Currently reading:
Technical accelerator cable

Alex1985

Hi all,
I've had to take my 1985 X1/9 to the garage to have a new accelerator cable fitted. They have tried to charge me for 8 hours to fit it? Does this sound normal? I've looked through my Haynes manual and 8 hours seems steep! Do you normally have to take the centre consol out? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Alex

Hi Alex,

It's probably because they don't want to do the job, it is a real PITA to do from what i've heard. I even had trouble removing one from a car which had everything else removed already

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alex,

just changed the accelerator cable on my 1987 Bertone last night - took 5 hours......

First thing is to ignore the Haynes manual - it is just wrong. You do not access the cable from under the car. The best link to describe how the job is actually done is mirafiori.com/faq/content/x19-throtte.html

You will have to undo the handbrake lever as the cable is accessible from there, remove the centre console to reach the pedal linkage which is hidden in the centre tunnel. There is a rubber grommet near the pedal linkage which is hell to remove (in the end I cut a hole in the side of the tunnel to prise it off with a screwdriver..) and the spring for the cable connection to the pedal linkage is a nightmare to re-attach.

The other problem I has was that the new cable sheath was not quite long enough and I had to reposition the bracket attached to the engine block and drill new holes to make the cable fit.

Plus points was it worked and I missed another inept England performance and I am not as minded to tow it straight to the scrap yard as I was last night.....

Next job is the long speedo cable - glutton for punishment or what...

Good luck!

Speedo cable is easy, tie a good bit of string around the old one and pull it through the bulkhead and into the footwell, use this string to pull the new one back up.(y)

Back