ABS light after rear brake convertion

Currently reading:
ABS light after rear brake convertion

T

tigran

Hi
i have a 2000 fiat bravo 1.6 sx model,and i converted the rear drums to discs,i took all the parts from a 96 bravo HGT, and now my ABS light is on and the ABS is not working,and after a few minutes of driving the handbrake lights comes on as well.
how do i fix it?
do i need to get the hubs from 99+ HGT?
maybe the ABS sensors?
something else?
please help,i don't want to drive without ABS.

thanks

You probably knocked or damaged one of the ABS sensors or you never fitted the ABS Hubs (ring).

Handbrake light is a different issue. You either haven't added more brake fluid due to fluid loss during the conversion, you bled the system incorrectly or you have a leak.

I would check for leaks first, then rebleed all the brakes again starting with the furthest brake first and work back in.

Sounds odd, the Hgt all came with ABS as I recall so you must have fitted the abs ring.... Did you change the sensors, or plugged them in??

The hand brake light as previously mentioned is Possibly low fluid but as u said it came on after use, you may well have a leak!

Personally if your not a competent mechanic, then messing with a cars breaking system is a seriously risky! If it all goes wrong, well let's hope it doesn't.....

Pop to a local garage and get them to take a look, might be the best £50 you will ever spend!!

Good luck.... You prob won't find any difference in breaking performance but will look better :)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

thanks for the answers,i'll try the stuff you recommended.
brake fluid level is normal,i'll check for leaks and re-bleed the system.
all HGT had abs ,but i think the later bravo models had EBD as well,and i took the brakes from a 96 model.

anyway the ABS sensors are different i couldn't fit the hgt sensors they were bigger,so i guess the problem is that my sensors don't work with hgt hubs.
i'm sure there's a way to solve it

You dont use the HGT hubs, use your own hubs. That'll be the problem.

I can't use my hubs i had drums and the hubs don't fit as far as i know.

Mate I would seriously take the car to a mechanic. You obviously don't know much about cars.

The whole point of the conversion is because your car has drums to begin with. The hubs do fit if you have drums. You just got to make sure you have all the parts from the doner car.

You need

-HGT Discs
-HGT Disc Protector
-HGT Rear Callipers
-HGT HUB Washer near the HUB, required!
-HGT 2x Handbrake Cables (Only Back Half)
-HGT Brake Hose, to attach to HLX hoses. Or make new ones

use original hubs and everything else....

If you take a moment and use the search button & put in rear disc conversion there are loads of threads how to do it :)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

You will need to get the brakeS from a Later model HGT as your Bravo is a 2000 plate SX with ABS later models also had EBD and where electronic\magnetic sensors.. the 96 HGT will of had ABS that was controlled by a spigot ring and not the Electronic ABS sensors like your 2000 sx and the Later model HGTs

The hand brake light coming on and staying on is an warning light for EBD failure.. the ABS light is on because the ABS ECU can not selfcheck the rear sensors because there not the right ones.

Sorry chap but you will need to start again with the correct parts from same age vehicle...

Good luck pal

You obviously don't know much about cars

thats harsh,especially when he's asking for help and advice!

as a general rule if you turn a wheel with the ignition on it can flag an abs fault and the light may need resetting. if you are working on any wheels dont have the ignition on if you intend to rotate the wheels. this may not be the case for all cars but its worth remembering.

when you did the conversion you can use your original hubs they will fit with the new disks i did a conversion on my marea 1.6 sx

You will need the hgt hub nut washer as already mentioned by tommy k

also as mentioned the earlier abs was different than the later electronic type with ebd so try swapping the hubs back over to your original ones you shouldn't need to disconnect the calipers again just remove the hubs and put yours back using the hgt washer. if you look at both washers they are different thicknesses

hope this helps

also when you have swapped them back to the original ones both abs and ebd lights should reset themselves after driving about 100 yrds if not then it could be a pump fault also common on the 1.6 models

cheers andy

ANDY

THIS WAS MY MAREA WEEKEND

IMG-20101113-00005copy-1.jpg

FAIRWELL TO FIATBOO AND ALL THOSE I HAVE MET OVER THE LAST 4& A HALF YEARS.

Thanks alot Andy ,i don't have my old hubs anymore.
will marea hubs fit as well? i got a 98 marea for parts but i'm not sure if it had EBD.if not them i'll look for a mk2 bravo/a at the scrap yard.
thanks again

hi it would have to be from a later model than a 98 as they just had standard abs it was the later models that had ebd also. which bits did you use for the conversion?? you could always buy new hubs as they are complete with rear bearings

ANDY

THIS WAS MY MAREA WEEKEND

IMG-20101113-00005copy-1.jpg

FAIRWELL TO FIATBOO AND ALL THOSE I HAVE MET OVER THE LAST 4& A HALF YEARS.