Tuning Abarth tuning

Currently reading:
Tuning Abarth tuning

abarthmarv

Hey all! I've decided to strip out all the interior and turn it into a caged up weekend blast type car. I've owned her from new in 2004 and doing this has rekindled my love for the car again. So far I've taken out 61kg and maybe another45/50kg to go(but some weight will b added with bucket seats n half a cage). I've just ordered a black diamond stage2 clutch and eibach pro lowering springs, wanted the full kit but its now been discontinued for the abarth. She goes to a mates garage end of Feb for some fabrication work n tlc to get thru the dreaded mot. Hopefully by then ill have sorted out all these damn airbags n warning light on the dash. Once into summertime I hope to order c+b cams, a coupe 147 inlet manifold and bigger injectors for more oomph. Atm its got a full stainless from the 1st cat(got rid of the 2nd cat) to a backbox, sounds lovely. A k+n panel filter and tarox discs and pads. Anybody done any tuning mods whatsoever to their stilo?

Attachments

• 20220113_151222.jpg
    20220113_151222.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Hi
Hey all! I've decided to strip out all the interior and turn it into a caged up weekend blast type car. I've owned her from new in 2004 and doing this has rekindled my love for the car again. So far I've taken out 61kg and maybe another45/50kg to go(but some weight will b added with bucket seats n half a cage). I've just ordered a black diamond stage2 clutch and eibach pro lowering springs, wanted the full kit but its now been discontinued for the abarth. She goes to a mates garage end of Feb for some fabrication work n tlc to get thru the dreaded mot. Hopefully by then ill have sorted out all these damn airbags n warning light on the dash. Once into summertime I hope to order c+b cams, a coupe 147 inlet manifold and bigger injectors for more oomph. Atm its got a full stainless from the 1st cat(got rid of the 2nd cat) to a backbox, sounds lovely. A k+n panel filter and tarox discs and pads. Anybody done any tuning mods whatsoever to their stilo?
Hi I’ve done something similar to what your planning to do engine wise I’ve got a Schumacher gp with c and b cams 2nd cat removed k and n typhoon and 315cc injectors redline raised to 7200 stage 2 Live Road/rolling road mapping You be looking at around 200 bhp. I can highly recommend Leighton Wilson at Castle Combe race circuit for your mapping.

Attachments

• 8A739F8F-846C-472C-9457-B54A89E94211.jpeg
    8A739F8F-846C-472C-9457-B54A89E94211.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Hi I’ve done something similar to what your planning to do engine wise I’ve got a Schumacher gp with c and b cams 2nd cat removed k and n typhoon and 315cc injectors redline raised to 7200 stage 2 Live Road/rolling road mapping You be looking at around 200 bhp. I can highly recommend Leighton Wilson at Castle Combe race circuit for your mapping.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Its getting alot harder to find anyone who's into modding the stilo abarth/schumi cars nowadays. I've found somewhere pretty local to me who say they can remap the car for me, so hopefully I'll get to see what she can do in pretty standard form. I've read lots on the forum from years ago and on the coupe forum too abt the dreaded 2.4, seems some parts can be swapped over from the coupe. Im looking for a coupe inlet manifold to get rid of this plastic vis one(on the stilo), for now itl b pretty standard until more funds come in for the cams, and hopefully some head work. Ideally next year go for forged engine internals and maybe look at supercharging it, got a mate who's pretty handy at that type o stuff. In my head 300+bhp would be mega!

Get to pick the stilo up from a mates garage tmora, its had some fabrication work done to get rid of some rot, had box out(which can't be fixed), a stage 2 clutch fitted, few mechanicals done and some dreaded electrical things sorted. Amazingly she passed her mot and will b fully road legal n out n abt from tmora! Happy days.

I would be hesitant to reduce the rear end weight. I found my Stilo Abarth tortured the front tyres with a complete interior. Under normal circumstances I would have 20-23PSI cold in the front tyres on track but the weight of the five pot meant I needed 30PSI cold up front and 20PSI cold in the rear to stop riding the side walls round hard bends.

Of course this was standard suspension and body roll so the GP anti-roll bar, better (firmer) shocks and springs will go a long way to solving this.

I'm curious to see what my Schumacher GP could do with the Bilstein/Eibach combination, OMP strut brace, Prodrive and better anti-roll bar but I wouldn't want to risk such a rare car. Even if the power steering worked.

I would be hesitant to reduce the rear end weight. I found my Stilo Abarth tortured the front tyres with a complete interior. Under normal circumstances I would have 20-23PSI cold in the front tyres on track but the weight of the five pot meant I needed 30PSI cold up front and 20PSI cold in the rear to stop riding the side walls round hard bends.

Of course this was standard suspension and body roll so the GP anti-roll bar, better (firmer) shocks and springs will go a long way to solving this.

I'm curious to see what my Schumacher GP could do with the Bilstein/Eibach combination, OMP strut brace, Prodrive and better anti-roll bar but I wouldn't want to risk such a rare car. Even if the power steering worked.
Too late with the hesitancy regards rear end weight, as it's stripped out now. I've only driven it a couple o times n not really pushed it yet but the car seems to handle alot better than standard, now the eibach lowering springs have been fitted. Didn't realise how much it would firm up the ride even with standard shocks(I'm struggling to find uprated shocks). Wish I'd gone for the 40mm springs instead of the 30's tho as now I've took all the weight out she sits abt the same as before weight reduction. Car feels alot quicker now than from standard, guna aim for a remap next to get it running as smooth as possible but also find out true power figures. Then a set of c+b cams coupled up with some head work. In the future I want this engine forged, mebe bored too to realise its full potential!

Good luck :), but something modern like a focus ST will **** all over it :cool:
Aye they most probs would do! As long as I can get this stilo going well, handling well then I'd fancy my chances on a track or nice twisty bumpy b Road. If I can get another 100bhp outta it then I rekon it'll keep up with most practical things on the road. 🤞🤣

If I can get another 100bhp outta it then I rekon it'll keep up with most practical things on the road. 🤞🤣

Probably (y), but maybe not for too many miles :cool:.

If I can get another 100bhp outta it then I rekon it'll keep up with most practical things on the road. 🤞🤣

Probably (y), but maybe not for too many miles :cool:.
The plan is t find a good engine builder after all the usual stuff like cams n remap etc have been done n get forged goodies thrown at it. Be expensive like but in my head worth it.

I haven't seen a Stilo or Fiat Coupé specific kit but they do a bank of five throttle bodies or Audi and Volvo five cylinder engines for non-turbo applications. This is good for an extra 60-100hp without the turbo faff or need to do anything internal.

Also if the four cylinder JTD engine is anything to go by the 2.4 JTD turbo manifold might fit.

I haven't seen a Stilo or Fiat Coupé specific kit but they do a bank of five throttle bodies or Audi and Volvo five cylinder engines for non-turbo applications. This is good for an extra 60-100hp without the turbo faff or need to do anything internal.

Also if the four cylinder JTD engine is anything to go by the 2.4 JTD turbo manifold might fit.
Yeah, thats something that I'd look into, throttle bodies. It would sound mega then!👍

Back