Technical Abarth Engine - checking oil level

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth Engine - checking oil level

I know several people have commented on here how difficult it is to get an accurate, reproducible reading on the dipstick of the 2.4 engine. Seems on anything but absolutely level ground will cause a seriously incorrect reading.

Well I think I've found out why:

naread.png

You'll see the dipstick enters the oil in the sump at an angle. No wonder it's so hard to get a true reading!

I was aware that this stupidly designed dipstick did play some aerobics before it reached the oil sump, you can tell by how it arches down for some odd reason. The only way that I can get an accurate reading is before a cold start and on absolute level grounds as you mentioned Peril. For me the dipstick has to be checked a minimum of three times as at most times one side of the dipstick measure does read the same oil level as the other.

Unnecessary time has to be spent on a simple job due to a stupid design, it is fiddly and time consuming but it needs to be done every time :)

makes you wonder whether all this "my stilo is burning oil" thing is just down to the car being on a slight slop and the owners misreading the dip stick? :confused:

I have the Abarth for half a year and it didn't burn one gram of oil from my engine. So yes, i really think that all this crap about loosing oil is just a myth because of the odd position of the dip stick.

Nice post gadge.

makes you wonder whether all this "my stilo is burning oil" thing is just down to the car being on a slight slop and the owners misreading the dip stick? :confused:

Let me guess mate, your Enzo like my red beast does not burn as much oil as people have stated on these engines??

Since my last full service which was over a month ago the car has not burnt one small (mm) of oil at all and I have been doing a fair amount of mileage, so this has made wonder what the hell all the fuss is about regarding these engines and the "burning oil" issue?? I am now using super wooper 10w60 oil, the engine sounds healthy and idles well.

I have already had an incident, before my recent service, where this diabolical dipstick gave me a stupid oil measure reading and left me in a panic big time, I drove to the nearest Halfords and topped up the car with the recommended oil which unfortunately was a crappy semi synthetic 10w40 oil.

I have noticed that even if you have the car parked on a flat surface and try to take an oil measure say after two hours or so after a trip, it still wont be accurate. This is why a take a measure before cold start where I know for a fact that the car has been sitting for many hours and all the oil from this big block engine has fully drained in to the sump, it is one bitchy factor but all is forgotten once I turn the ignition on :devil:

Last edited:
Let me guess mate, your Enzo like my red beast does not burn as much oil as people have stated on these engines??

mate, i done an oil change on mine about 5 months ago and a month or so after, i checked the oil to my suprise, was on the bottom of the dipstick (it was about 3/4 up after the change and that was after a run the night before) - so topped it up to 3/4 again only after a week it was at the top of the dipstick and has'nt moved since, backing up redperils' diagnosis of a crappy designed dip stick tube? :eek:

mate, i done an oil change on mine about 5 months ago and a month or so after, i checked the oil to my suprise, was on the bottom of the dipstick (it was about 3/4 up after the change and that was after a run the night before) - so topped it up to 3/4 again only after a week it was at the top of the dipstick and has'nt moved since, backing up redperils' diagnosis of a crappy designed dip stick tube? :eek:

Yes totally please dont get me wrong mate the dipstick tube is a big time "****e" design, I totally agree (y)

True statement there, it is all down to this misleading, badly designed dipstick and its bowed tube, where the hell is the sense in that kind of design, how and why seriously...???? anyways I have managed to get round it so I am simply glad that i can take accurate measures now and not be fooled by this stupid thing once again (y)

If that were the case, I'd imagine there must be a lot of Abarths driving around with too much oil in them. i.e. driver checks the dipstick which (falsely) reads low so driver puts more oil in unnecessarily.

it is all down to this misleading, badly designed dipstick and its bowed tube, where the hell is the sense in that kind of design, how and why seriously...????

When considering the dipstick position, the manufacturer has to find a place where the top of it is visible and accessible to the driver and where the bottom of it isn't in the way of moving parts inside the engine. Can you see anywhere from the top of a 2.4 engine where a straight tube could go, and avoid a revolving crankshaft web and big end inside the engine and avoid engine ancillaries from top to bottom?

If that were the case, I'd imagine there must be a lot of Abarths driving around with too much oil in them. i.e. driver checks the dipstick which (falsely) reads low so driver puts more oil in unnecessarily.

Funny you should say that Dav. At my last oil change, I noticed more oil came out of the sump than I recall before. And yes, I had topped up two or three times between services, on the basis of the dipstick. I find it particularly difficult because I can't do a 'cold engine' dip on mine, as my drive has a slope!

.....yep, just like i did? luckily it was at the MAX mark so next time, i'll be using a measuring jug so excatly the right amount will go in. and surely the dipstick tube only needs to kink straight at the last inch so it dips into the oil straight? not at an angle?

Wish I'd read this a few days ago!! Checked the oil in my Abarth last week... was very low so topped off with what seemed like a huge amount to bring it up to about half on the dipstick!!
Having just read this thread I've gone out and pushed it off the very slight slope of my driveway onto a flat part and rechecked... it's now over the MAX... not by much but it is still over...

QUESTIONS:
1. will running slightly over the MAX damage anything?
2. should I try and drain some to get it back down to the MAX mark?

When considering the dipstick position, the manufacturer has to find a place where the top of it is visible and accessible to the driver and where the bottom of it isn't in the way of moving parts inside the engine. Can you see anywhere from the top of a 2.4 engine where a straight tube could go, and avoid a revolving crankshaft web and big end inside the engine and avoid engine ancillaries from top to bottom?

Hey Dave

I totally understand and you are absolutely right, I am no expert at all but they could have tried to design this particular engine element a bit better or even place it somewhere else where it is still accessible to the driver and safely away from other engine components.

Your theory about Abarth owners driving around with over topped oil is to me 100% true due to the fact that you simply can not get an accurate reading without certain precautions and measures being taken, it happened to me a while ago, I did drive round with excess oil and it was all down to to this stupid oil measuring dipstick. The oil also seems to takes bloody ages to drain in to the sump which does not help, this is why I can only take an accurate reading before cold start.

Just for a giggle :p I attempted to redesign the dipstick tube myself :D for me the serious design fault is not down to the necessary "bowing" tube design but it is down to how they "bowed" the bloody thing, the tube is a snake from top to bottom, its ridiculous :bang:

1_1.png

Just changed my oil & filter, put in the 2.9ltr of Selena & it’s in the middle between min & max on the dipstick. 🤔🤨

With these wiggly dip stick paths (Stilo Abarth, Barchetta, HGT, ... all of which I have had/have) then:

1: withdraw and clean dip stick
2: insert again but not all the way down : stop about 2 inches short, withdraw and clean again
3: Ensure the dip stick end blade is in a vertical position
4: Insert again but only down to 'O' ring seal depth. Now check level. This gives you a good guide as to where the oil level is. Clean again.
5: REAL READING: ensuring blade is vertical then all the way down and back out as smoothly as possible

4 and 5 and variations/steps between will ensure you get progressive oil level increase as you go deeper. This gives you certainty that the reading is correct and not just another smudgy one.

Tedious I know but is the only way to be sure and consistent.

Back