General A year in the life of a 500 Twin Air Plus

Currently reading:
General A year in the life of a 500 Twin Air Plus

airsafari87

So it's coming up to a year since we took delivery of our Twin Air Plus and I thought I'd write up a mini owners review with our findings and general likes dislikes with the car.

Standard Twin Air Plus spec :-
Midnight Indigo Blue
Minus the black roof and spoiler
Full black leather interior (best option to tick by miles in my opinion)
Side rubbing strips with `500' logos.

IMG_0840.jpg

Picture taken at the bottom of Honister Pass in the Lake District last week.

Primarily it is my girlfriends car but we do share it and with me being a fan of and owning old VW's I get to drive it plenty when they break down!

The car was initially ordered when my girlfriends old Fiesta died on us, she had always hankered after a 500 and seeing as though we could get the Fiat friends and family discount the time was right to take the plunge and buy one.

Initially we were going to go for an Abarth but after browsing the Fiat website and going through the configurators on there we were both very struck by the Twin Air Plus, at the time neither of us were even aware of Fiat doing a 2 cylinder turbo engine and with me being an engineer myself I was rather intrigued and drawn towards it, my girlfriend? Well she just liked the zero road tax costs!!!

We approched the dealership and luckily enough they had a Pop model with the Twin Air engine on demo so we left to our own devices to take that out for a test drive. Now I went on the test drive fully expecting to be totally underwhelmed by a piddly 800cc 2 cylinder engine despite it having a turbo (such a tiny, tiny turbo) but I came away feeling the exact opposite I absolutely loved it! Revved for fun, was pretty sprightly and sounded like nothing I had ever driven such a characterful engine, Well done Fiat!!!

The deal was sealed, Abarth ideas were shelved and Twin Air was in our sights.

She wasn't a fan of the black roof so that was omitted during the ordering process and at the time neither of us were a fan of the black wheels, we did try to get the same wheel in silver but our dealer was unable to do that for us, and while I'm on the subject of the dealer I have to say our experience with the particular salesman we dealt with couldn't have been better and GMD Fiat in Durham will be getting my business again because of that. But I digress ...
She wasn't keen on speccing up full leather but I was firm on this one despite it being her car it WAS having leather! And now a year on she see's why, it's a must have imho.
I'm not a huge lover of 500's without the side rubbing strips, some colours suit it without while others really do need them I think, the Midnight Indigo being one of them.
Order placed ...

So we took delivery of our little car, nicknamed `Guido' by my gf.

First job for the car when we got it though was a full detail, I'd instructed the dealer to leave the car just as it was when it left the transporter and it was driven straight from the garage and to my friends detailing studio,with both of us being professional detailers we set about the car in preparation for laying down a few coats of paintwork sealant which was duly applied that evening ... Unfortunately for my girlfriend though that meant her not getting her brand new car back for another 24 hours as the sealant we used was sensative to moisture and lived it's first 24 hours in a snug temparature controlled environment while it cured.

And in its first year with us it's been absolutely faultless and a joy to drive. 8000 miles are now under it's wheels and it's recent trip over Hartside Pass and around the Lake District has been the absolute highlight so far.

The black wheels have grown on us both and I really like them now.
Don't regret not having the black roof either.

Fuel consumption, ahhhh yes the good old fuel consumption issue!! Obviously it acheives nowhere near the manufacture claims of 60mpg+ but you know what? I don't give a rats ass!!! Look at it like this, It has climate control, so that's left on pretty much all the time to do it's job otherwise why have it? The enjoy is an absolute peach so when the opportunity presents itself why not take advantage of that and enjoy it . The `growl' (another of my other halfs monickers) from the engine as it's revved is so addictive.
If you want a car for its high mpg buy a diesel, if you want a fun characterful car with reasonable fuel economy buy a twin air, simple as that
For the record it averages 40 - 45mpg which is mainly stop start town driving, a small amount of motorway miles and in a reasonably hilly area ... The `Eco' button is NEVER switched on!!

A couple of little niggles I have has been the slight hesitation you get when accelerating after changing gear swiftly, Now I've spoke to a guy I know who does live remaps and as well as releasing 10 or so more bhp he can also smooth out that hesitation slightly. I shall look into that sometime soon.

The ride height is so far up in the air too and needs lowering desperately but more on that later. I suppose coming from a VW that bottoms out on catseyes thats to be expected I guess!

The Shift light too is a major annoyance too and I will be asking the dealer if this can be turned off when it goes in for it's service too.

And thats it, only minor niggles really and nothing that detracts from the experience.

A couple of questions though ....

My brother in law has just recently bought a new Abarth Essesse and has the standard Abarth springs spare.
I'm assuming they will just be a direct swap with the existing ones on the Twin Air are they? No issues with the difference in wieghts between the 2 cars and the spring weights? Hopefully if they are a direct swap it will get it sitting slightly lower looking a lot better, especially when the wheels are spaced out a touch too.

Has anyone developed a filter and exhaust for the twin air engine yet? Knowing how delicious twin cylinder motorbikes sound I can only assume that a free breathing twin air engine will sound an absolute peach.

Anyway apologies for the lengthy wordy post, hope it wasn't too boring to read.

Mark

i too have a twinair which i purchased in march this year in midnight indigo blue but with black roof and spoiler. i also went for full black leather interior as being a pcv mechanic it is very easy to keep clean.:D and have now fitted rear mudflaps and wind deflectors on doors.

mine too has a slight hesitation if changing down to first gear and pulling away too quickly, you get used to it.

the free road tax was a bonus as previous car was 200 quid for a year and fuel consumption is usually about 45 mph but did rise to 50 on a run to tenby then sussex and home to west scotland even with three adults and lugauge in car. found the car surprisingly comfortable on such a long journey and sits not to bad at a steady 70, in about ten days we did 1300 miles and now she has just over 5000.

loving the sound you get when pulling away, nice little growl..!!:)

eventually she will be getting hit with the lowering stick(y)

the central locking packed up but was sorted straight away and at times there is an electrical buzzing sound down in drivers footwell :mad:

have named her "we hoachin" as when i picked car up i did not really like the colour as it was a dull overcast day and told salesman the colour was f-ckin hoaching :bang: and it was not the colour i ordered but on a good clear sunny day the colour pops out at you:p

loving the driving experience of the 500 even with her little quircks:worship:

Slight hesitation between gear shifts......

I used to have a Smart. Could have a cup of tea and a sandwich in between changes on that. I'm exaggerating a bit.

Just the cup of tea then.

My issue with the ac on isnt so much fuel economy, for the record it costs me about 5 euros more per week with AC on, its the massive drop in power i feel = )

The hesitation isn't so much a problem going down the box, it's when going up through the gears, like the Smart but way way way less pronounced!

I haven't noticed a drop in performance at all with the A/C on. I've done a few tests with it on and off and there is no discernible difference at all, my old Fiesta ST was comical when the A/C was turned on, it litterally felt like you had just picked up three 18 stone lads and put them in the back seat, the A/C was never turned on in that car when it was getting driven properly.

The hesitation isn't so much a problem going down the box, it's when going up through the gears, like the Smart but way way way less pronounced!

I haven't noticed a drop in performance at all with the A/C on. I've done a few tests with it on and off and there is no discernible difference at all, my old Fiesta ST was comical when the A/C was turned on, it litterally felt like you had just picked up three 18 stone lads and put them in the back seat, the A/C was never turned on in that car when it was getting driven properly.

Go full throttle on the 1.4 and you'll notice a difference!!

...The ride height is so far up in the air too and needs lowering desperately but more on that later....

A couple of questions though ....

My brother in law has just recently bought a new Abarth Essesse and has the standard Abarth springs spare. I'm assuming they will just be a direct swap with the existing ones on the Twin Air are they? No issues with the difference in wieghts between the 2 cars and the spring weights? Hopefully if they are a direct swap it will get it sitting slightly lower looking a lot better, especially when the wheels are spaced out a touch too.

Has anyone developed a filter and exhaust for the twin air engine yet? Knowing how delicious twin cylinder motorbikes sound I can only assume that a free breathing twin air engine will sound an absolute peach.
There are a few threads on the FF about swopping the standard springs on the TA with the A500 ones. Here is an example of one...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/296856-looking-lowering-springs.html
You can piggy back of an older thread or start a new one. A quick answer is that the Abarth springs will probably not be suitable and you might be better of with a set of Eibachs. Shocks should be changed as well and the Koni Sports seem to be the preferred choice with the 100HP drivers. AVOs were tried by a member on here and they didn't work on the standard springs.
Filter could be changed to a cotton gauze one but don't know if they exist for the TA. Have seen no performance exhausts for the TA yet but there have been promises. Doubt it would make much difference since it would only be a CAT back.
Fiat have a 103bhp TA engine but get the impression that it's using the beefier gearbox from the mult-jet to cope with the increase in torque.

There are a few threads on the FF about swopping the standard springs on the TA with the A500 ones. Here is an example of one...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/296856-looking-lowering-springs.html
You can piggy back of an older thread or start a new one. A quick answer is that the Abarth springs will probably not be suitable and you might be better of with a set of Eibachs. Shocks should be changed as well and the Koni Sports seem to be the preferred choice with the 100HP drivers. AVOs were tried by a member on here and they didn't work on the standard springs.
Filter could be changed to a cotton gauze one but don't know if they exist for the TA. Have seen no performance exhausts for the TA yet but there have been promises. Doubt it would make much difference since it would only be a CAT back.
Fiat have a 103bhp TA engine but get the impression that it's using the beefier gearbox from the mult-jet to cope with the increase in torque.

That would be me. The Avon's were great. The damping was spot on, and being adjustable I'm sure they'd work great with Abarth springs.
It was just the rattling from them I wasn't prepared to accept.
Avo told me to do the bolts up 'really tight' I torqued up to 135lbs. I read on ff that the settings for a seciento is 49lbs istr. I would think that a 500 would be similar.
They still rattle!

Getting back to avo about it is still on my to do list.

I believe from what I've read on t'internet that other manufacturers dampers can rattle in the same manner??11

Last edited:
Anyway apologies for the lengthy wordy post, hope it wasn't too boring to read.

I enjoyed it :) we don't have the TwinAir in NZ, so it's always interesting to read about them.

Have to say though, that's the same fuel economy as I get from my 1.4 and therefore would be the same CO2 emissions too, which kinda makes a mockery of the whole zero-road-tax thing :p

-Alex

Good write-up. Same colour as mine and i have to say i was never a fan before of black alloys but i think they go so well with this colour, really love 'em!

Regards fuel economy, i'm now on 13K and recently have been averaging almost mid 50s having struggled to top 50 in the winter months with an engine still running in. Several times recently, i've topped 60 average mpg on individual journies. Whilst I don't tend to welly it, I don't drive like a 90 year old either :)

Regards climate control, in hot conditions such as now I really do notice the power difference it causes when the cooling is on full blast.

That would be me. The Avon's were great. The damping was spot on, and being adjustable I'm sure they'd work great with Abarth springs.
It was just the rattling from them I wasn't prepared to accept.
Avo told me to do the bolts up 'really tight' I torqued up to 135lbs. I read on ff that the settings for a seciento is 49lbs istr. I would think that a 500 would be similar.
They still rattle!

Getting back to avo about it is still on my to do list.

I believe from what I've read on t'internet that other manufacturers dampers can rattle in the same manner??11

After your experience on the rattling AVO shocks the 'other Abarth' forum were reporting the same issues but refunds were being given. The rattling was also been reported on the Gaz shocks (which seem to be the same shocks) and on the original Koni FSDs that were been supplied by 'Fiat'. Get the impression that the issues with the FSDs got sorted. Since AVO continued to sell their shocks despite individuals reporting the problems with rattling I'm surprised that they got away with it.

In relation to the Abarth springs being suitable for the a TA - I would be dubious about it if the standard shocks were kept. The suspension on a A500 is about 40% stiffer than a 500 1.2 / TA and since the A500 is reputed to be over springed and under damped it would make the TA worse. If you did opt to put the springs on you would have to have a set of shocks valved to match the weight of the springs. If I had a TA I would probably opt for a set of springs off a 1.4 (which are lower by around 5mm) and a set of FSDs to keep the 'comfort'. Set of Koni Sports supposedly cope better going lower & should last longer than the FSDs.

After your experience on the rattling AVO shocks the 'other Abarth' forum were reporting the same issues but refunds were being given.

you couldn't give me the URL of the abarth site please?
It's about time I got back to AVO and sorted this once and for all.

Some anecdotal evidence from other end users would always come in handy.

Back