General a few questions

Currently reading:
General a few questions

I was walking over to my mk 2 punto 2000 1.2 8v from the back and saw somthing hanging out of the exhaust which looked like hair. I started to pull on it and i managed to yank out about 30cm of this gray stuff which just plainly looked like grey hair. Can any1 tell me what the hell this is as i can feel more when i reach inside the exhaust.

Another quick question is on my coolant as i had the car idleing for about 5 mins today so i could pump up my tires with my electric pump, had a quick check under the bonnet to have my face met with some realy hot air. Is this normal for a punto 1.2 8v to get this hot or is it overheating meaning i have to drain the coolant for air locks (coolant is full). I touched the engine block and it was very hot, i also felt the tubes coming away from the coolant tank, the 1 on the left was cold but the 1 on the right was boiling hot. could any1 just tell me which is the norm.

last1. As im driving the handbrake warning light comes on then goes of again continously, this is not due to the handbrake as i have checked it is all the down eventhough it does need a tightning, i have also checked the brake fluid level and it is just below half full, do u think i just have to top it up again to make it go away, is just under half not enough? thanks for your help.:)

I was walking over to my mk 2 punto 2000 1.2 8v from the back and saw somthing hanging out of the exhaust which looked like hair. I started to pull on it and i managed to yank out about 30cm of this gray stuff which just plainly looked like grey hair. Can any1 tell me what the hell this is as i can feel more when i reach inside the exhaust.

Could be that an old hippy really likes your car. :yuck:

yes custard i was thinking bout getting a new exhaust but can u tell me what that stuff was, some kind of filter material maybe?

The grey hair is fibreglass matting. It's usually put in one of the baffle chambers to help silence the exhaust. If some of it has escaped it means there's quite a bit split in the internal baffling, so start sving for a new silencer.

The brake warning light could be low fluid. Top up with new DOT4.

The engine does get hot when you let it idle... I wasn't sure if this was a wind up.

Look at the temperature gauge. If it's above half way (to 2/3) then the fan should come on. If it's less than that, then the fan won't... but the engine runs at 88C when it's warmed up so it WILL feel warm if you put your head next to it.

Ralf S.

Thanks for the replys guys but my car doesnt have an engine temperature gauge as it just has the speedo and feul so i dont know, i was just concerned as i turned it on for bout 3 mins and the engine was boiling hot. probs normal tho.(y)

Back