General 900t overheating issues again

Currently reading:
General 900t overheating issues again

Hi Gary.

i popped out in my coupe over the weekend and topped it up with decent fuel, now i know its running ok and the temps are stable.

so next time I'm out in it I shall take my infra red digital thermometer with me and make a note of the temperatures of the surfaces of various things like exhaust/head/stat casing/rad header and base tanks.

after that i will run our 900t up to temperature on the gauge and note some surface temperatures, its due a run out at some point.

Tim

Hi Tim

It will be interesting to see your findings.
At the moment I get three readings, the original temperature gauge, the sensor on the radiator header tank (for the fan switch) and from the 123-Dizzy.

I know the rad sensor is likely to be reading a bit low (by 5 to 10 degrees), the sensor is supposed to fit in the core but it's to long hence why its attached to the header tank.

The gauge from the 123-Dizzy seems to be stable at 90 to 95 degrees no matter what the other two readings are.

I'm wondering if the original temperature gauge may be at fault but not sure how to test it.

On a different note, I took Connie out for a run at the weekend, the lack of a thermostat was noticeable. With current the colder weather she took a long time to warm up, requiring the use of choke for much longer and very lumpy running (although this may have been a bit of damp).

I've no time at the moment to refit the thermostat, or put an in-line one into the top hose. So will have to live with it like this for now.

After a fraught couple of weeks wondering if our house move was going ahead the day finally came and the need to drive Connie to her new home arrived.

60 miles and two hours later (due to traffic not Connie) we finally arrive under our own steam and without stopping - for comfort I kept under 50 mph as I didn't want to put too much stress on everything (many parts are new, so technically running in).

The combination of the electric fans worked well kicking in and out as expected. However, to err on the side of caution I left the cabin heater on - it was a bit chilly in any case.

Curiously, half-way through the trip the cabin heat stopped giving heat but the combination of fans kept the engine temperature out of the red so I kept on going. On arrival I found that the pipe from the engine was hot but the return was cold. I suspect that whatever was causing the blockage in the radiator managed to free itself and is now lodged in the heater matrix.

Also curious was that after around 45 miles in the engine started to loosen up and rev really easy. I'm guessing that the trip un-gummed 14 years of not going anywhere.

It will be a few weeks before I get chance to investigate as loads of DIY to do on our new home first. I'll update when I know more.

If you still have the stat out it could indeed have been the extra continuas waterflow and heat combo that dislodged the blockage. You could drop out the heater rad and flush it, disconnect the send and return pipes the the engine end and then back flush these and hopefully you'll be well on your way. A complete flush of the entire system might also be a good call as the amount of gunk in there can be unreal.

There is also nothing like a good run to free everything up again, these things want to be driven!

Hope the house move went well and you are settling in there nicely!

Back