Technical 750 Motor Club -- what gearbox?

Currently reading:
Technical 750 Motor Club -- what gearbox?

I've just been chatting to the owner of a Reliant Fox which has also had the 999cc FIRE engine fitted as a replacement for the original 850cc Reliant lump. It seems that retaining the original Reliant clutch and gearbox isn't a problem either.... So this got me wondering...... If I was to buy this car would it be possible to swap the engine for the 1200cc lump, but retain the carb set up, or is fuel injection a must on these larger engines?

(y) ?

750 Motor Club has been allowing 1108 FIRE engines (in very standard trim) to run against the Reliant engined cars. Regs state that a live rear axle must be used, so, obviously, this begs the question. What gearbox are they using?

Just piqued my interest, really.............

The 1108 didn't have to be standard from the beginning. I know this for definite because I built the first FIRE engine winning a race in the 750 class. However, it was quite restricted compared to the capacity disadvantaged reliant engines. Also the total weight of the car had to be 20kg more.

Since a one make cam is allowed as well as a vernier pulley.

The restrictions on the gearbox are 4 gears and live axle. If you have a 5 speed box you have to disable one gear.

I was sort of looking -- as you do -- at a Fisher Fury and thinking that the 1.4 SuperFIRE turbo would make a nice little motor for it. Not as light as the 750 club cars, but a damn good power to eight ratio. Doubt if the Reliant box would handle the torque, though, so it'd have to a Fraud unit.

Or maybe look at a mini Stratos/Davrian/G15..............

All fantasy at the moment, though, two projects on the books and no finance to make any real headway on those yet..........

Peter,

Please can you contact me regarding the seicento. I still have the spare wheel and have not yet received full payment.

Please can you call me on my mobile to arrange to meet. I have been trying to contact you for a while but no luck :idea:

Thanks
Zoe

Back