Technical 750 gearbox dumped oil, bust gator

Currently reading:
Technical 750 gearbox dumped oil, bust gator

Well after driving the car home from garage where it got painted, the gearbox did whine a bit, now i know why, i big split in the gator on the gearbox side(passenger).

lucky i found 2 new ones in the donor when i bought it, thing is, is there any seals need to be replaced or does the oil in the box be held in by the gator, i presume the later cos it pissed out when i squashed it......

and above all, do i need to use ZC90 oil, or can i use a 80w90 engine oil, a GL3/4 oil but deffo none EP oil..

so i just replace the gator and fill with oil and should be ok.???

cheers guys

oh, its a 750 4 speed box
and driving it home was great, really wanted to floor it but was doing 50 before i new it LOL.

just been searching for 80w90 gear oil and all say EP80w90 or GL5....

i thought you could NOT use EP oils or GL5 in the gearbox......

thought it has to be a GL3 or ZC90......

i did read the previous threads on gear oil but still not very clear what can and cannot be used.....

kevin

GL5 is a generally a better oil than GL4 or GL3 that means you won't find GL3 in normal motor factors. But, GL4 to some extent, and GL5 to a greater extent, have EP-[Extreme Pressure] additives that are damaging to yellow metals and therefore Panda gearboxes.

I found some classic car 90w GL3 online and still have a small supply, but in future i'm just going to use a thick engine oil.

I changed from 20/50 engine oil to ZC90 just before I went away and it was a definate improvement. It's available on eBay still, unable to provide a link at the mo.

As far as I know, the only difference between an SAE90 (what tutela call ZC90) and a GL-3 or 4 is the former is mineral, while the more common GL type is either fully or part synthetic.

They all have a small amount of EP additives, and they are compatible with a Panda gearbox. Preferably I would use a GL3 or a SAE90, but if all you can get hold of is GL4, it is better than running it dry :rolleyes:.....
Definetely I would not use GL5, as it has a lot more additives that are harmful to the Panda box and can cause problems in the long term (we are probably talking several thousands of miles).

I know a lot of people are using thick engine oil (20w50 and the likes), but I can't think why. It is thinner than any specific gear oil and at operating temperature, it would be too thin to be an efficient lubricant. It defeats the object, really! EP-free, but nowhere near ideal viscosity. Probably why the box feels more "crunchy" when used with engine oil.

Man i finally fitted the rubber gator last night, bit of a nightmare but done, just need the ZC90 today and can fill back up.

did notice a few metal filings on the drain plug.....mind you it is a 1986 gearbox ?.

another daft question, can you get fuel in the gearbox oil??????

when i dropped the remainder oil i thought i could smell fuel....unless it was just the oil addatives.....

kevin

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I have just put Wilkinsons 20w50 oil (£9 for 5L) in the gearbox of my Mk1, all good so far but its only been driven a mile:p. I am abit worried it is too thin but we will see. 10w40 will definately be too thin and I would just get the cheapest you can, £9 for 5L in Wilko and that will do both. If I could find some ZC90 I would rather put that in, but it hard to come by as we know, even the Millers one that is the right spec does not seem to be available any more.

Cheers for that. Had a look on eBay, nothing for reasonable money. Think I'll use the 20w50 for now and keep an eye out for the correct stuff at the right price and change it again as of when.

Just found the thread 2 years ago about the 200x1L ZC90 at £75 that got ended early :bang:

Thats exactly what I'll be doing, with the amount of miles I'll be doing the 20w50 should be ok. A shame we didn't get that job lot, would have kept us going for quite a while:(

Thats exactly what I'll be doing, with the amount of miles I'll be doing the 20w50 should be ok. A shame we didn't get that job lot, would have kept us going for quite a while:(

It's the low mileage I'm doing which is making me hope I'll be ok also.

I'll let you know if / when I find the correct stuff at a reasonable price :)

Back