General 500xl??

Currently reading:
General 500xl??

Probably don't make much difference as 2 little kiddies on the fold up seats don't weigh more than a couple of suitcases that you could have in instead. Guess car will weigh only ~100kg more. Motorway trips are the easiest for any car, hills might be long but are gradual?

Probably don't make much difference as 2 little kiddies on the fold up seats don't weigh more than a couple of suitcases that you could have in instead. Guess car will weigh only ~100kg more. Motorway trips are the easiest for any car, hills might be long but are gradual?

Yes but also there's extra metal work with the extended overall length, can imagine starting at the bottom of the hill at 80 in the fast lane and getting to the top in 4th gear with trucks stacking up behind

How many 7 seaters do you know that you can get with less than a litre? All I can think of is a daihatsu hijet but that's only a 6 seater.

I honestly don't think it will be that bad or that much heavier (guess 100kg?). Modern engines have allot more torque and power, not sure displacement is a good performance guide anymore. It won't be quick but I doubt you'll have to change down as long as you're going fast enough to start with (80 should be more than enough...). If you're right it would be a bit silly; maybe they won't offer the 1.4 petrol or 1.3 diesel (0.9l twinair and 1.6l diesel are 105 hp).

Very quick look.. Cashcow + 2 is offered with 117hp petrol, 110hp diesel (as well as some bigger/more powerful engines admittedly), barely more than 105 (you wouldn't notice the difference?). I'm sure I remember reading that the twinair can easily go to ~120+hp so that might be offered and then there is the 120hp version of the 1.6 diesel...

Hmm, will be interesting to see what FIAT actually offer in this car.

Allot of people think the 500L has small engines for its size, I don't get that (unless you want to tow a caravan).. even the motoring press in the UK who hate FIAT are praising the engines. It is a big car for the engine lineup but it's a very lightweight "big" car at only ~1200kg (IIRC).I suppose in the past FIAT has always offered a quick version which always worked out very cost effective for such a fast car, and they are now causing those customers to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
the car in the picture looks like a builders van with windows in the back, by comparison the current offerings from ford and vauxhall are much better looking and probably cheaper and better equipped

paint it black deck the back out with teak and you've got a pretty good hearse

He's always on this forum and the FIAT Facebook page telling everyone how ugly he thinks the 500L is.

would it be this one reply I made to a post on the fiat uk facebook page

the comment with the most likes?

I appreciate other peoples views do differ to my own but I am still allowed to voice them. Every time anyone says anything derogatory about the 500L you throw a hissy fit and start hitting the dislike button like it means anything

you also need to appreciate that many of the 500L threads have been posted as off topic which means they get duplicated in the leisure lounge

It would be a boring existence if we all thought the same.... or north korea (y)

Last edited:
I am not liking the tone in this thread - especially once it starts getting abusive.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it seems someone is on a mission!!!

Fortunately ChrisUK i found the ignore button.

Weight difference wise, even assuming the 500XL is only 100Kg more than the 500L thats still like carrying 2 washing machines or a vespa scooter about in the boot all the time without having added any people or luggage.

The multiair engines are good in small cars but their lack of torque will leave them floundering at the lights compared to the diesel models how they will cope with another 100kg on top is anyones guess

it will also make a big dent in the economy

Last edited:
I honestly don't think it will be that bad or that much heavier (guess 100kg?). Modern engines have allot more torque and power, not sure displacement is a good performance guide anymore. It won't be quick but I doubt you'll have to change down as long as you're going fast enough to start with (80 should be more than enough...). If you're right it would be a bit silly; maybe they won't offer the 1.4 petrol or 1.3 diesel (0.9l twinair and 1.6l diesel are 105 hp).

Very quick look.. Cashcow + 2 is offered with 117hp petrol, 110hp diesel (as well as some bigger/more powerful engines admittedly), barely more than 105 (you wouldn't notice the difference?). I'm sure I remember reading that the twinair can easily go to ~120+hp so that might be offered and then there is the 120hp version of the 1.6 diesel...

Hmm, will be interesting to see what FIAT actually offer in this car.

Allot of people think the 500L has small engines for its size, I don't get that (unless you want to tow a caravan).. even the motoring press in the UK who hate FIAT are praising the engines. It is a big car for the engine lineup but it's a very lightweight "big" car at only ~1200kg (IIRC).I suppose in the past FIAT has always offered a quick version which always worked out very cost effective for such a fast car, and they are now causing those customers to look elsewhere.

Tbf I doubt there are many people out there looking at a 500 xl abarth...(please dear god fiat no) but given that this is the sort of car that you buy because you have people and things to move, I've always thought they could have used the Grande punto engine lineup so twin air as entry level a detuned 1.4 t for those who want to go faster and two tunes of the 1.6 diesel at the otherside of the range. It's not like they won't fit considering its a gp underneath. Speed isn't everything not having to rag the balls off your car cos the Mrs decided todays daytrip needed a souvenir of 5 bags of compost and some cement is another matter entirely.

Last edited:
Every time anyone says anything derogatory about the 500L you throw a hissy fit and start hitting the dislike button like it means anything

This could be what happened to AndyRKett. He threw a "hissy fit" to try and get his other half to buy him a FIAT 500L:

She wouldn't, and now he has to try and convince himself that they are rubbish because he can't have one.

Nobody likes an Internet bully, sod off.

Tbf I doubt there are many people out there looking at a 500 xl abarth...(please dear god fiat no) but given that this is the sort of car that you buy because you have people and things to move, I've always thought they could have used the Grande punto engine lineup so twin air as entry level a detuned 1.4 t for those who want to go faster and two tunes of the 1.6 diesel at the otherside of the range. It's not like they won't fit considering its a gp underneath. Speed isn't everything not having to rag the balls off your car cos the Mrs decided todays daytrip needed a souvenir of 5 bags of compost and some cement is another matter entirely.

Don't know how much they modded it from the GP but you'd have thought they'd have left their options open for more engines than offered currently. I agree, they really should offer the Multiair petrol on the 500L (and XL) like they are doing in the states. Doesn't suit me but I bet their are plenty that it would. Can't see the 85HP being offered in a 7 seater, would be amazed. They seem to be making the ranges smaller at the moment or am I imagining it (Bravo probably because it's being phased out) so whilst it would be good doubt they will do twin air, multi air, 2 x 1.6 multijet, 2x bigger multijet. Let's hope they do a bigger engine for customers who want it though.

Isn't the 1.4 multiair in the 500L 165HP (available in USA) (engine from Abarth Punto) (might be completely mistaken ;)) so twin air, 2x 1.6 multijet and multiair would be a good lineup? More than 165HP would be the Abarth ;) ?

Last edited:
Here she is, at the services in Turin apparently.

Attachments

• 1367103568556.jpg
    1367103568556.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 60
Back