General 500X Lift Gate handle/switch broken

Currently reading:
General 500X Lift Gate handle/switch broken

Lissa6500

I have a 2016 500X that has a broken lift gate handle. Is there a manual release for the lift gate? From what I have found our so far, it looks like I will need to purchase the complete silver hatch release assembly. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone else has this problem?

I think this tailgate / liftgate switch failure is a known issue. I would not say common but certainly an issue.

I have a 2015 model and do not have any issue so far. I think, certainly in the earlier models, the switch plate issues arose because instead of gently pressing and waiting for the lid to release and then lift, people just pulled so excess force was applied to the switch mechanism before the system released the latch. I have no proof of this explanation/assertion. I would contend that this is/was a design flaw/fault in that "foreseen misuse" was not considered.

As to your question I do not believe there is a separate manual release unless you fold the rear seats down and access the lock mechanism from the inside.
If your search Fiat Forum I think I have seen past posts about people repairing this assembly thus avoiding the cost etc. of a complete replacement.

S130 is calling it about right imho. Out of the blue mine fell off in my hand within the first few months of ownership. Repaired under warranty. I think I heard at the time it was a £380 part.

The way to open it is press the release, wait temporarily for activation, and then flatten your fingers and lift. I think people naturally hold the same position throughout and it puts unnecessary excess strain on it.

I think I still have the rubber cover from the old part in the car if that helps you, I think its about 4 inches long, and maybe an inch wide.

Buy the way, I've just looked at my Multiecuscan (MES) and on the "Body Computer Actuators" is "Boot open".

This function activates the indicated device and control circuit. Please observe:
- Clicking sound from the related relay
- The correct operation of the selected device

I'll have to remeber this for myself is I have issues.

Back