General 500C 95BHP Diesel Lounge Pick UP Wed 31/3/2010

Currently reading:
General 500C 95BHP Diesel Lounge Pick UP Wed 31/3/2010

I could have bought two Panda 100HP's for that price:eek:

I paid £8795 for mine in December, are there still no discounts to be had on new 500's?

I could have bought two Panda 100HP's for that price:eek:

I paid £8795 for mine in December, are there still no discounts to be had on new 500's?
Sounds like you overpaid too then! Unless you went for lots of options? I nearly bought a new Panda HP last year when they were selling for £6995 brand new, the prices have gone up by quite a lot it seems?

The prices of all the Fiats seem to be going up unfortunately. Not much of the blame can be levelled at Fiat i suppose, it's just how the economy & exchange rates are at the moment.

However, i have noticed that Fiat have also started taking kit off some of their spec lists. For example (according to the configurator) the Bravo Sport no longer has Blue & Me or Cruise Control & the Panda 100HP no longer has bluetooth, but has the subwoofer instead. This, coupled with the price increase is kinda hard to swallow.

The blow would be softened if when the cars are delivered, everything is perfect. But i do worry that this won't be the case for several people and at the prices being charged, sub standard build & poor customer service just isn't going to cut it. So i hope Fiat have thought long & hard about it all.

Last edited:
Horses for courses on the old petrol vs diesel argument but it sounds like the new diesel is a cracking engine, especially in Europe due to the tax, diesel prices and higher motorway speeds/distances travelled.
In the UK the playing field seems a bit more level.

It will be interesting to see how the performance and economy are once a few thousand miles are under its belt.

I have had 2x 1.2 facelift Pandas and a Lancia Ypsilon 1.3td 85bhp hire cars in the last month in Italy and have found the Pandas to be fairly under powered for the autostrada whereas our 70BHP 1.3td Panda had a suitable amount of go last summer when it was out there. (it felt like it was accelerating at 130kph). I think they were both 60bhp options which is still available over there which will go someway to explain the difference. I was expecting a car with a similar character to my old Seicento Sporting but got very flat cars that didnt enjoy being revved (like all little italian cars should).

The 85bhp Multijet in the Lancia was a different engine again, extremely impressive and this is what I hope the MJ2 engine in the OPs car will be like but with slightly higher economy and smoother delivery. This engine should easily match the 1.4 for performance, better it for economy and be worse for noise and vibration.

Once secondhand I think the argument will be squewed again as the gap between the prices will be small so the payback will be faster providing you dont have to replace a DPF on the diesel.

With regards to the quality the assembly of the 2 nearly new Pandas was fairly awful and if I had bought them the dealer would have been fed up with me by the end of the first week.

I reckon a green 500byDiesel with the MJ2 engine sounds perfect for me apart from neither my bike or baby would fit in it very well. The missus would have one the same as the OPs.

Back