General 500 jack problemo!

Currently reading:
General 500 jack problemo!

always a good idea to have a full size spare or at least a tyre at home in these circumstances (y)

selling a car for this is a bit of a diva reaction...

(1) True, and (2) I'm sure it was probably the last straw... ;)

Can I just say that I believe the standard jacks are a lot safer if kept well-greased on the threads (I use CV joint grease) and if all pivots are un-seized. In some cars the jack lives in a slightly damp environment under the boot floor (water leaks, wet items placed in boot, etc.) - I know the 500 jack is fairly new but I think it might be a good idea to add some grease, oil the pivots, wind it up and down (unloaded), once a year.

I've used standard jacks for years, particularly with cars too low to get my trolley jack under. Standard jacks were much worse in the Uno, where you only got half a scissor jack and it leaned over too easily. I saw that same leaning problem happen with a newer design when one of the pivots seized, and I also stripped the threads using my 156 jack in a hurry once, which could have been dangerous - hence my comments :)

-Alex

I also got rid of the skinny spare and put a full size wheel in the boot just in case we're miles from anywhere on a Sunday with no opportunity to buy a new tyre. Not only that, I can then choose where and when to buy a spare tyre at a good price, not having to fork out stupid cash in an emergency.

Good move. Can I just ask, which size wheel/tyre have you fitted in the boot?

I realised to my disgust today that my left-front wheel has been touched-up after some kerb damage before I bought the car and therefore the paint finish isn't as perfect as I thought. Grrrrrr.... I was so annoyed that my first reaction was 'perhaps I'll buy a genuine new wheel, and turn this one into a full-size spare'. I really don't want to go down the path of painting the wheel...

-Alex

Yes, sorry for slow response, been away for the weekend.

I got a standard 14 inch 500 steel wheel (we only have 14's on anyway) with a fairly decent tyre for £30 delivered off ebay. Just to make sure it was ok on balancing, I got it rebalanced for about a fiver.

Full size wheel is now in the wheel well, outer rim facing down on the well floor. Jack/tool tray is just sat inside the inner part of the wheel. I've put a couple of old towels folded in half either side of the wheel to take up the inch that the full size wheel intrudes so that the floor mat sits flush. No one could tell just by looking in the boot. Yes, the full size wheel weighs an extra 6 pounds I think, but the convenience of having it if we get a flat, is more than worth it.

Back