4x4 rear axle, differential and oil seal sizes and detials

Currently reading:
4x4 rear axle, differential and oil seal sizes and detials

Ok this has been moved to FAQs section as folk are going to need to know this in the future.
here are some details quoted from another forum member:
Panda axle bearings
Diff bearings x2 SNR EC 12162
Fiat no.7546497
35x66x10

Pinion bearings 1x STEYR 69.087.06 FOO
Fiat 5947944? Large

piñon 1x STEYR 32007cxsv74. FOO
Fiat 5990098? Small

Panda half shaft seals
2x 26-47-7 seals
Panda pinion seal 1x 36-56-10

Sun gear fiat 5933626

the oil seals at the ends of the rear 4x4 axle are:

26mm shaft
47mm housing
7mm depth*

"26-47-7"

not that i would not recommend getting a left hand or right hand twist oil seal as they only really work on shafts that spin in one direction. if the direction changes (you reverse in the car) the oil seals may pass a little oil.

Click for larger picture:

they cost about £3 each from a bearing supplier.

*note that you could use a 10mm or larger depth oil seal. it just presses into the rear axle outer tubing. that is as deep as the distance from the outer axle where the wheel bearing sits to the start of the rear differential!

the differential input shaft / pinion oil seal size is:

35.8mm shaft - (a 36mm may work, but it may be a tight squeeze)
56mm housing
10mm depth.

"35.8-56-10"

also i may aswell add this for ease,
The oil used in the panda classic rear differential is:

EP 85w/140 GL5 spec.

more information will be added to this as more things are discovered.

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Re: 4x4 rear axle oil seal size

Not sure about the LH and RH twist, mine were the same each side and just pressed in
I had one LH and one RH twist in both panda and y10 4wd.

i handed the old seal into the guys at the bearing place saying it was off my car, they gave me a bag of all the same ones..

the seal that came out of fallout had no indicative markings bar a manufactures name and the sizes... ??

they deal in bulk buy too so i bought the smallest amount they sell which is 20.. i got the bag for £20, but individually they sell them for £3 each. but i did give them a incorrect size brand new belt for talon as a kinda swap.

twist seems a bit odd? if you do a lot of reversing wouldn't that mean the oil would seep past the seal if it became sticky and spun the seal out of the shaft?

on fallout the seals are just press in with no visible threads for the seal to screw into.

the oil seals in fallout were totally flat with no point left, totally shot. not good!

Last edited:

i was at the bearing place again today to pick up a heavy duty alternator belt for talon,
i asked about having a LH and RH twist in a drive axle shaft oil seal for a car, the guy confirmed my suspicions and said that if that was so, when ever you reversed the car oil would seep from the seal. he said for what they do, just use bi-directional oil seals.

yeah i have a few left, you should be able to get them easy enough though.

pm me if you want me to send you some over.

you can go wider then 7mm

standard size is
26 mm shaft
47 mm housing
and 7 mm depth.

but you could go to 10mm depth and there would still be more than enough room.
10mm is good as you could get the double lip oil seal rings.

i do not recommend getting the one direction oil seals. as every time you reverse you will loose a bit of oil.

ok these are from china, but they are the kinda thing i am talking about.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Nit...469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c6ec9a3dd

for future reference of course..

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Nope, nut is removed. Just have the shaft and bare face of the seal showing. There is an anti-clockwise arrow on the seal (I assume indicated a left hand thread). Same arrow is on the new seal, with thread like grooves, however I cannot see the terminations off the thread. Is it threaded or does it simply push in like the ouput seals ?

Threads on side?
Image1486236943.753166.jpg

Arrow on seal face
Image1486237017.064217.jpg

Nope, nut is removed. Just have the shaft and bare face of the seal showing. There is an anti-clockwise arrow on the seal (I assume indicated a left hand thread). Same arrow is on the new seal, with thread like grooves, however I cannot see the terminations off the thread. Is it threaded or does it simply push in like the ouput seals ?

Threads on side?
View attachment 176966

Arrow on seal face
View attachment 176967

Hey ad the grooves in the seal face prevent a pressure build up against the seal ensuring no weeping of oil Past the seal also check that there are no carbon deposits on the shaft. If so remove with The scotch brite. That maroon abrasive pad !

Back