Styling 235/40/R18's on Bravo standard 18" rims.

Currently reading:
Styling 235/40/R18's on Bravo standard 18" rims.

GrandeGuy

Established member
Anyone done it?
Mine at the moment are 225/40/R18
My rim size is 7 ½ j
But they look stretched, so i was wanting to put 235's on.
also i noticed the 17" rim in the fiat book is 7j and they are 225 wide as well . . .
Does the 7 ½ j mean my rim is ½ an" inch wider than the 17"? :confused:
If so will a 235 suit 7½" better?and also look better?
Can someone give clarification on the 7-7 ½ j part on the specs does this mean 7"wide or something else?

Anyone done it?
Mine at the moment are 225/40/R18
My rim size is 7 ½ j
But they look stretched, so i was wanting to put 235's on.
also i noticed the 17" rim in the fiat book is 7j and they are 225 wide as well . . .
Does the 7 ½ j mean my rim is ½ an" inch wider than the 17"? :confused:
If so will a 235 suit 7½" better?and also look better?
Can someone give clarification on the 7-7 ½ j part on the specs does this mean 7"wide or something else?

7J = 7inch wide
7.5J = 7.5inch wide, so yes, the 18's are half an inch wider.

http://www.m3gtregister.com/img/gt13-50/2/20091017_11.jpg. 235/40R17 on a 7.5, will look nigh on identical, bar the wheel size.

What do you mean, look stretched? 225 on a 7.5J is fairly standard...able to get a picture?

7.5" is the minimum rim width for a 225/40R18, so I'm struggling to understand how you would think they look "stretched"....

The 235/40R18 you're suggesting obviously need a wider rim, minimum 8" for those.
As well as that size being 8mm bigger in diameter.

Last edited:
As you can see the tyre tread is a good 1"(2" in total) in from the rim :( also no rim protection at all. is it just me? or is it the style of tyre i have on now :confused:
SDC10581.jpg

SDC10584.jpg
SDC10582.jpg
SDC10585.jpg
SDC10579.jpg

The tyre size is the section width, not the tread width.
Tread width for a given size is different for different makes & versions.

Also, some makes & versions have better rim protection than others.

What tyres are they?

Last edited:
The tyre size is the section width, not the tread width.
Tread width for a given size is different for different makes & versions.

What tyres are they?

Ahhh i see, they are Goodyear excellence

Mine look like
126430_goodyear_excellence.jpg

Should they not look like this?
Goodyear-Excellence-Tire-Promotion-Size-15-inch-to-17-inch-0905-14-TekMing_11_1_1.jpg

So if i went for a different style of tyre would it have a bigger tread pattern?

Some tyres "run narrow". It's why most, including me, run either Falken FK452's or Nankang NS2's when tyre stretch is required. It is all to do with side wall strengths and how bendy they are. But a 225 tyre will always be the same, as they are 225mm across the tread section. There is a list somewhere on the internet of tyre makes and models that run wide and narrow. As a rule of thumb, stay away from Falkens, as they run narrow across the range.

If you look closely at the second picture, you'll see the sidewall still bends to meet the tread section, just less exaggerated than the first. But your tyres are correct, and unless you can get a good deal on 235's, then sticking with 225's is no bad thing. For reference, this is my stretch ;) 215's on an 8.5J

As you can see, the whole sidewall sits inside at an angle, and the lip is exposed, on yours it is covered with the wheel, as it should be. Only the top of your sidewall stretches to the tread pattern.

My advise though is stick with 225's.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tyres 225/40 18 on mine and they look fine. They look really good actually as tyres go and very good VFM, paid just shy of £120 each fitted including tracking. Maybe it's the cheaper ones that aren't doing as good a job.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tyres 225/40 18 on mine and they look fine. They look really good actually as tyres go and very good VFM, paid just shy of £120 each fitted including tracking. Maybe it's the cheaper ones that aren't doing as good a job.

any chance i could get a picture to see how they look?

Some tyres "run narrow". It's why most, including me, run either Falken FK452's or Nankang NS2's when tyre stretch is required. It is all to do with side wall strengths and how bendy they are. But a 225 tyre will always be the same, as they are 225mm across the tread section. There is a list somewhere on the internet of tyre makes and models that run wide and narrow. As a rule of thumb, stay away from Falkens, as they run narrow across the range.

If you look closely at the second picture, you'll see the sidewall still bends to meet the tread section, just less exaggerated than the first. But your tyres are correct, and unless you can get a good deal on 235's, then sticking with 225's is no bad thing. For reference, this is my stretch ;) 215's on an 8.5J

As you can see, the whole sidewall sits inside at an angle, and the lip is exposed, on yours it is covered with the wheel, as it should be. Only the top of your sidewall stretches to the tread pattern.

My advise though is stick with 225's.

i can get
T1SPORT PROXES TOYO T1 SPORT - 225/40R18 92Y TL £91.95
or
T1SPORT PROXES TOYO T1 SPORT - 235/40R18 95Y XL TL £114.00

**COOPER ZEON 2XS - 235/40R18 91Y TL £91.80**

Photo's as promised. Really recommend these tyres. Look great and really nice to drive on, excellent grip in both dry and wet and a smooth, quiet ride.

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 269
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 212
  • IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
Photo's as promised. Really recommend these tyres. Look great and really nice to drive on, excellent grip in both dry and wet and a smooth, quiet ride.

And they have a nice lip over the rim+just look a lot better!
Starting to think it's the style of tyre letting mine down.

Got an update people and an answer! :D
Went down to my local tyre dealer today and spoke to them, they said all though all 225 tyres are 225 the tread profile veries dramatically,
They've stood 4 Falken 225's next to 4 Avon 225's and the difference was staggering!
He said when stood together in a pile the Avon's were 3" (yes 80mm) higher than what the Falkens stood Ahhhh

So Avon 225/40/R18 92 XL, it is for wide stance and lip protection :D

Back