Technical 2012 Ducato 3.0 Eml light and air bag light mystery please help.

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 Ducato 3.0 Eml light and air bag light mystery please help.

pms1234

Morning all, Ingot a 2012 Ducato 3.0 and can’t find the fault bringing on the eml light and airbag light.

eml

so basically do a code read and it come up with P053A PCV heater ‘A’ open circuit. I have done some hunting around and found an interesting video from the states explaining the this should be caused by a filter in the crank case, ordered one no change. I thought lets change the glow plugs as intermittently the glow plug light would flash, after having 3 snapped plugs got these replaced again no getter.

running out of ideas now anyone has this?

airbag

after the auxiliary belt snapped ever since the power steering light has stayed on along with the message check power steering, no visible damage to any loom or wiring, no codes, fluid level good and steering good anyone had this?

thanks guys in advance if you have any helpful comments.

Hi pms1234

I have read of several instances of EML light showing with P053A code being logged. The generic code refers to the PCV heater/Vapour heater. This is a low power self-regulating heater within one of the small PCV pipes at the back of the engine bay and is fitted to prevent freezing of the vapour in very cold conditions. However, people have often changed the heater or heater/hose assembly and it hasn't cleared the fault. The heater is a pretty simple device (PTC thermistor) with only +12 volt and ground connections and ought to be reliable. On the older vans it ran all the time, on newer vans it may only be turned on when it's cold weather as an energy saving measure but that's only my guess.

I am beginning to suspect that either Fiat have chosen a subtly different meaning for P053C, or there is some commonplace fault affecting the wiring to this device e.g. an exposed connector getting damp. It is also possible that the power to the PCV heater is shared with some other emissions related components and it's one of these that is failing.

Sorry I can't be more help, wiring information for the newer vans is not yet in the public domain.

Back