Technical 2012 doblo

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 doblo

alisonmcneilly

My 2012 fiat doblo, I have been noticing a vibration through the steering wheel while turning at slow speeds. Any ideas what it could be? T

A difficult question to answer, as any detailed description of the vibration will also be difficult.

Some possibilities, there may be others.

Electric steering: Low battery voltage, worn torque sensor in the steering unit.

Mechanical steering or suspension components: Wear in the steering rack, or track rods. Failed suspension top mounts, broken springs. Loose wheel bolts.

Driveline: CV joint worn (torn boot, grease lost). Failing wheel bearings. Failing tyre. Failing engine mountings, especially the 'dog bone' that counters engine rotation.

Firsly this needs a careful visual inspection. Secondly, it will probably need a knowledgeable person to physically experience the problem, sdly not something we can do on a forum.

Hopefully others may chip in with their experiences.

As portland_bill says difficult to answer. Is it one direction only, if so note where the steering wheel is exactly pointing at the time, then when stopped with wheel in same position check if tyre is fouling something, wheel arch inner plastic etc. can make a noise. However without hearing a noise and when it happens we are only guessing. In the past I have heard wheel bearings, drive shaft joints, faulty tyres, wheels coming loose, power steering belts slipping (obviously not on electric steering) if you were touching the brake pedal at the time it could be a worn brake pad catching the list can be endless. The one I liked was where we told the customer we had found the problem " it's the nut lose behind the steering wheel";)

As portland_bill says difficult to answer. Is it one direction only, if so note where the steering wheel is exactly pointing at the time, then when stopped with wheel in same position check if tyre is fouling something, wheel arch inner plastic etc. can make a noise. However without hearing a noise and when it happens we are only guessing. In the past I have heard wheel bearings, drive shaft joints, faulty tyres, wheels coming loose, power steering belts slipping (obviously not on electric steering) if you were touching the brake pedal at the time it could be a worn brake pad catching the list can be endless. The one I liked was where we told the customer we had found the problem " it's the nut lose behind the steering wheel";)
Both directions
Both directions. Car has had quite a lot of work done ar front track rods and another arm done as well as springs and mounts

Again as portland_bill suggested top strut mounts can make a noise in both directions ( I would describe as a mechanical grunting sound) and at low speed as when parking or manouvering, especially if it has been standing for a while parked up waiting for work to be done. With the bonnet up sometimes it is possible to put your hand on the top mount whilst it is being turned and feel the harshness, easier if at an MOT station sat on turning plates. It may not be possible to easily access them if behind trim etc. Another small point if it is that, and left for a while it can cause front spring failure as the noise is the spring jumping around on the Macpherson strut when bearing is seized. Sorry to be all doom and gloom, with all the years in the motortrade you often only see the problem cars with the drivers complaining about spending a couple of hundred pounds on the vehicle that gets them to work every day of the year, but will happily hand over a couple of thousand pounds for a two week holiday to a travel agent;)

Sorry didn't read all of your last piece. Not suggesting it in your case but I have seen new top strut mounts have issues. When fitting I always put extra grease in them where possible and double checked they would revolve easily when assembled.

Again as portland_bill suggested top strut mounts can make a noise in both directions ( I would describe as a mechanical grunting sound) and at low speed as when parking or manouvering, especially if it has been standing for a while parked up waiting for work to be done. With the bonnet up sometimes it is possible to put your hand on the top mount whilst it is being turned and feel the harshness, easier if at an MOT station sat on turning plates. It may not be possible to easily access them if behind trim etc. Another small point if it is that, and left for a while it can cause front spring failure as the noise is the spring jumping around on the Macpherson strut when bearing is seized. Sorry to be all doom and gloom, with all the years in the motortrade you often only see the problem cars with the drivers complaining about spending a couple of hundred pounds on the vehicle that gets them to work every day of the year, but will happily hand over a couple of thousand pounds for a two week holiday to a travel agent;)
Pretty sure it's not strut mounts as I know that sound 🤣. Cv joint is a possibility as we weren't sure if it was that or faulty track rod end at mot time recently. So track rods were done both sides

CV joints usually show on full lock maybe going in a tight circle in a car park first one way then the other, though more of a loud clatter than a vibration as you describe.

CV joints usually show on full lock maybe going in a tight circle in a car park first one way then the other, though more of a loud clatter than a vibration as you describe.
It's usually when I'm moving car on or off drive way so possible

If it is that, sometimes if you slide the cv boot back and slap a generous helping of CV grease around the joint and work it in and refit boot noise goes away. If Mot just done then assume no splits in CV boots but it is not unknown for someone to replace a boot but leave the joint bone dry thereby causing the problem. Good night:)

Back