Technical 2009 2.2 Puma engine, Visteon ECU-Pilot injector learn fail

Currently reading:
Technical 2009 2.2 Puma engine, Visteon ECU-Pilot injector learn fail

nik233

Bit of a saga. During August suddenly ran really badly at idle-lots of white smoke and very smelly. AA transported to garage, who
fitted an EGR, and it wasn't too bad when warm but still smoked a lot from cold.
Went to Fiat who updated software and relearnt HP Fuel Pump and Pilot Injector, but still smoking when cold.
I've since cleaned and put the old EGR back in as it didn't appear to be faulty though there wasn't any change to the symptoms.

I put my scope on the Fuel Flow Regulator (Ford call it a SCV-Suction Control Valve) and the Fuel Pressure Sensor,
compared them with graphed live data, and could see the actual fuel pressure wasn't very stable compared to the desired
pressure, so replaced the FFV with a Denso unit.

I'm now really struggling to complete the Pilot Injector Learn, having initially carried out the HP Pump learn. I've been using Multiecuscan
but there are zero instructions for the procedure on this. I've now tried AlfaOBD, which holds your hand a bit through it.
It's getting someway through...runs at 1400 rpm for a bit, goes back to idle then stalls saying that conditions aren't met (paraphrasing slightly),
and sets P1304 code - Pilot Injector Learn error and sometime P1306 - Fuel pressure(high press. pump output or injector support).
These codes always clear immediately!

It runs a lot better from cold, with no smoke, but the EML comes on after a while and it goes into limp mode, with the same code P1304

Can anyone guide me on any wrinkles related to the procedure, or give me any tips on anything else to consider? Should I be considering
replacing the FPS? Have spent days and days scouring the internet, but can't find much on this.

Back