Technical 2008 comfortmatic problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 comfortmatic problem

Clunkspur

Hi guys,

Since the cold spell in December I have a problem with my comfortmatic, when starting from cold i get the “gear unavailable“ flash up and the gearbox sign flashes. I have tried the re-set methods thats mentioned in the manual and hold the key over when starting for 8 secs, with some success. Once the light goes out she will engage gear sometimes with a bit of a thump but then drives normally. If i go out for a bit of a run 25-30 miles and get all the system up to speed i can stop (fuel up for instance) and she will start and run as sweet as ever. If i do this in the morning then try again in the afternoon again no problem. If i leave it for a day or two then I’m back to square one. Will fitting a new battery help with this as it does feel that when the battery has sat for a while it causes this problem. I have had her for 3 years so the battery is at least this old. I am not as technical as some on here so trying simple cheaper options first. Your advice would be greatly appreciate.

Shouldn’t matter how good the battery is as once it’s running the alternator is supplying everything. If it’s gear selection that’s the problem that differs depending on how warm the vehicle is then i’d be thinking gearbox oil level or possibly degraded oil that needs changing

Okay, will check this, the levels look alright from what i can see. But i’m not sure looking at the service history i have i cannot see any change mentioned so maybe it does need this and a bit of TLC. thanks

I am not familiar with the system, and can only repond in general terms. On our petrol Skoda which has a DSG automatic box, a pump runs when the driver's door is opened. I have assumed that this is a hydraulic pump for the gearbox operation, but it could be related to the fuel injection system.

I recall mention of a similar door operated hydraulic pump on a Ducato. This pump would charge a hydraulic accumulator. If I am correct, and this pump does not work when the door is opened, then there may be insufficient hydraulic pressure when the key is turned.......

Back