Technical 2007 - 2016 Fiat Scudo Mark II Second Generation Workshop Manual (van will not start - electrical issue)

Currently reading:
Technical 2007 - 2016 Fiat Scudo Mark II Second Generation Workshop Manual (van will not start - electrical issue)

bugsbus

Hi all, I'm new here and need some help. I'm looking for the wiring diagram for my 2010 Fiat Scudo, 1.6L.

The workshop manual in the latest downloads section seems to be for the Mark I vehicle, based on the images. Also, I'm having trouble opening many of the downloaded folders.

Could anyone point me towards the wiring diagram for my model year, either on this forum or elsewhere?

I'm having an issue with my van's electrical system. For over a year, it has intermittently failed to start. When I turn the key, nothing happens—sometimes I hear a click, sometimes not even that. If I try again after a few seconds or a few minutes, it usually starts. However, the problem has worsened over the past year. The mechanic replaced the starter motor and the battery, but the issue persists. Once, after getting a new starter motor installed, I stopped for diesel and the van wouldn't start again. The mechanic replaced a fuse in the BSM fuse board unit under the hood, which seemed to fix the problem temporarily.

About a month later, the van wouldn't start again. I returned it to the mechanic, who estimated a €2500 repair with no guarantee. He mentioned the BSM and the key ignition switch might need replacing. I am waiting on the diagnostic report from his as he charged for the time spent investigating.

I towed the van home and am trying to diagnose the issue myself—it feels like finding a needle in a haystack though!

I suspect the problem lies with the BSM unit, but I'm just starting this troubleshooting process and would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

Main thick ground wire from battery to engine and chassis.

Run a second wire from the starter trigger connection then when won't start with key touch wire to battery +ve - see if it starts.

Could be switch operated by key.

Does the immobilser light always come on then go off before you crank starter?
Do you wait for immobilser and other check lights before turning key to crank starter?
If you just turn straight to cranking from zero.....stop it

Thanks jackwoo for your suggestions and advice. I think the suggestion about the ground wire is good. I saw on another thread this advice and having a chatr with a colleague this morning he had teh same ground wire issue with his peugeot recently (scudo has a PSA engine). + another friend advised about the ground wire also. I'll check that first and then the switch operated by key as suggested.

I will let you know how i get on.

I carried out some checks today:
I checked the earth straps, they were all in good condition and continuity tests with a multimeter told me they were in working order.
I put 12 volts on the starter and the engine turns over but won’t run
I checked the immobiliser to n the ignition switch and it seems to be working, also checked with the spare key.
I checked the three cables coming off the ignition switch and they are working correctly.

Economy mode is appearing on the dashboard above the stereo yet the battery is good, it’s showing 12.4 volts.

I also plugged in an OBD scanning tool (it’s a cheap Autel one) and it’s saying connection error. Maybe I need a more sophisticated scanning tool/software?

I’m thinking I need to reset the economy mode anyway before I proceed.
Any suggestions would be welcome

Also worth noting there’s only about 30,000km on the van and serviced annually.

Does the engine light come on with the other lights when key turned ?

Like I said ignor economy mode that's for saving fuel.
Do another video with engine cranking on starter motor

Do you want to see a view of the instrument panel when cranking to tell you more info or see and hear the sound of the engine cranking?

Just to clarify - I have to run 12v directly from the battery to the solenoid/starter to crank the engine.

Last edited:
Cranking engine
Economy mode warning is now replaced with anti pollution warning

Attachments

• 222316c7-1c7c-4ca9-bc83-5715fae90951.mov
    2.7 MB
Back