Technical 2004 244 Steering Column Gaiter

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 244 Steering Column Gaiter

Lotus26R

The gaiter protecting the lower universal joint on the steering column on my van requires replacement.

Sadly, Fiat only supply the complete steering column assembly at a cost of £837.90p.

That's clearly out of the question so I'll be looking to adapt either a universal item or indeed one from another vehicle.

Has anyone any experience of doing this before please and if so, would you mind sharing details of the items you used?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpeg
    IMG_1780.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
Possibly a universal steering rack boot from a motor factors as they are usual quite stretchy and can be cut to suit different sizes.
Apart from that I know it is a good idea to protect the steering universal joint but in the old days they didn't feel the need to cover them, just maybe a squirt of oil now and then to help the needle bearings.
I know my old Iveco Dailys around that age with 257K miles didn't use them.

Hi

I don't think that a column gaiter is an MOT fail item, though that's not to say that one or two zealous testers haven't put them down as an advisory. I guess it's shielding the joint from road spray etc which might shorten its life. It's not in the same league as a rack end gaiter that is holding the grease around the end ball joint.

I think bugsymike's suggestion of a steering rack boot is a good one, or possibly a CV joint boot which are available in split form complete with glue to join the split.

Possibly a universal steering rack boot from a motor factors as they are usual quite stretchy and can be cut to suit different sizes.
Apart from that I know it is a good idea to protect the steering universal joint but in the old days they didn't feel the need to cover them, just maybe a squirt of oil now and then to help the needle bearings.
I know my old Iveco Dailys around that age with 257K miles didn't use them.
That is a fair point - thanks. I will see if I can find a universal one that fits somewhere near but I'll not panic too much ahead of the MoT. Cheers.

Hi

I don't think that a column gaiter is an MOT fail item, though that's not to say that one or two zealous testers haven't put them down as an advisory. I guess it's shielding the joint from road spray etc which might shorten its life. It's not in the same league as a rack end gaiter that is holding the grease around the end ball joint.

I think bugsymike's suggestion of a steering rack boot is a good one, or possibly a CV joint boot which are available in split form complete with glue to join the split.
Thank you - I'll not panic in the short term. Whilst at a breakers last week I saw another van in an identical condition - I guess maybe they all go this way and they bother no-one.

Back