General 2002 1.9D Punto

Currently reading:
General 2002 1.9D Punto

zapiy

Hello fellas,

Just got myself a 2002 1.9D Punto and i have a few questions for you.

1. I was only given 1 blue key. Should this car be remote central locking and do i need a red key like my only punto?

2. I have a flash airbag light, what is this error?

3. i have the seat belt light on even when the seatbelt is used?

Cheers

Fiat scrapped the red key after the mk1 punto so no, you shouldn't have one. What model is it? is it base model as it wont have remote central locking.

Oh and what does the 1.9D go like? Is it really far off the pace of the JTD??

Excellent news on the red key.

I have no experience of the JTD but she goes very well. It likes the high Revs and picks up very well. Great little runner for the money.

PS is this yr car the Mk2?

I have the the none Turbo Version but that still feels nippy.

They did do the none turbo 1.9D in the mk2 though. . .

They did indeed, and I have one! :)

Have a couple of questions about it:

1. Battery. Fine when I got it, but a couple of months later when I started the car, the digital dash settings (trip and clock) reset to all zeros. Replaced battery, but the one recommended wouldn't fit the box in the engine space. Just went for one that would fit. A month later, same problem. Garage said battery was dead and replaced with another that would fit the box although they knew it wasn't the one specified. First battery supplier tested the one taken out and found nothing wrong with it - so no refund... Garage is now trying to source the correct battery from Fiat.

2. Engine 'kangaroos' a bit, especially when cold but also a bit when warmed up. It happens between 40 and 50 mph. It is rather like a petrol engine would be when it's 'missing' if that means anything? I've noticed when it's dark that the lights dim in time with the uneven running, but after about a mile they are fine (but the kangaroo still appears!)

3. I too only had one blue key. Trying to find someone to supply a spare has been very hard work and as yet, unsuccessful.

Any of this sound familiar at all? I'd really like to get it running well as it's such a nice little car!

Hello mate and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

1, The diesel engines do require a lot of amps to turn them over, so if the battery that you have put in does not supply enough amps, you will get the problems you have said. It is hard to source a battery that is of high enough ampage AND will fit in the battery box. To get around this, on my JTD i have removed the plastic surround that sits around the battery (it just clips in to the battery tray) and as such, i can fit a more common size battery in that provides enough amps.
2. Have you tried injector cleaner? Also, does it do it at a set RPM rather than speed? for example does it always do it at around 2krpm, as its possible it could be your MAF sensor (i had very similar thing to you). Try unplugging it and see if that helps it to run smoother. If so, give the MAF a clean with some contact cleaner, and if that doesn't work, get a new one! (although some people leave their cars running without a MAF with no adverse effects)
3. Best place in my opinion to get another key is fiat. Your guaranteed its going to work and be the genuine article. If its the remote central locking version key then it will be about £100 all in, or if its the non remote central locking its a bit cheaper.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Last edited:
Thanks Alan!

Apologies for not introducing myself... I'm at work, so stealing a few minutes and trying to keep under the radar!!

I'll see what battery the garage comes up with this time and if it's no better than the previous one will do as you suggest.

I don't know about the revs as I don't have a rev counter... It is always about the same speed though, and I always drive the same way (unless I'm very late!)
Will try injector cleaner - it's just added to the fuel isn't it, or is that something different?
Don't know what a MAF sensor is I'm afraid. Will google it when I get home!

Regards the key - when you say Fiat, do you mean a main dealer? If so, the closest is about 45 miles from me, but would be worth the trip as the only quote I've had is for £300. No-one else could do it.

Thanks for your help, hope to chat again later!

David.

Not a problem.

With regards to the key, sorry yes i meant a fiat main dealer. Once they have got the key it only takes half an hour to programme it, they normally do it whilst you wait.
A MAf sensor is a "mass airflow sensor" which basically monitors the volume and density of the air going into the engine. It has a filament which is hot when the engine is on so that it gives an accurate reading. Sometimes the filament can get contaminated with road grime and therefore gives an inaccurate reading. This can sometimes be cleaned off with some electrical contact cleaner from places like maplin, but other times it irreparable. The easiest way to test it, is simply to unplug it, which will allow the engine to run on default settings rather than incorrect or fluctuating readings that the dodgy MAF may be giving.

Hope that helps,
Alan

The 'missing' is much worse when the engine is cold, and may happen at certain revs. Without a meter I can't say for sure, but it's at about 35-40mph in third and 45-50 in fourth.

I used some injection cleaner but it hasn't made any difference - althought I've probably only done about 50 miles since putting it in.

I'm going to Google the MAF sensor so I can recognise it, then will see what happens when I take it out. Will let you know!

Took a while, but I found a Fiat dealer near where I work, so hopefully will soon have a spare key as well. I'll post the cost as well, as that may be helpful to someone?

Hi mate,

if its not your MAF, then it will probably be your EGR valve. May just need a clean or possibly replacing, and if its not that then you can check the resistance of the injectors to see if one of them is at fault.

Keep us updated, we will sort it eventually!! lol
Alan

It's been a while, but I'm back...!

New battery supplied directly from Fiat - fitted and working well.

Engine still missing around 40mph in third and 50mph in fourth. Have looked for MAF sensor but not sure where to find it....

Haven't got to the Dealer yet for a new key...

I'm rubbish really!

Have a day or two off now, so will try to sort out where the MAF sensor is and give it a clean. Anyone draw me a map...?!!;)

Well, it's been fine all summer but has started 'missing' again now the weather is a bit cooler.

Had no luck identifying the MAF sensor - pic anyone?:confused:

Back