General 2002 1.2 spurious bulb warning messages and beeps

Currently reading:
General 2002 1.2 spurious bulb warning messages and beeps

My 1.2 2002 has recently started intermittently giving various spurious warning messages on pressing and releasing the brake. Messages include stop light failure, rear fog light failure, indicator failure etc

Given the age I am wondering if a new battery might solve this but the other option is I guess a poor earth somewhere or a dodgy bulb (they all appear to be working when stationary). Any suggestions on where to look for a poor connection or should I just get a new battery first and see if that helps?

I have been running for a few month with the headlight out as it is so difficult to change the bulb - could this have overloaded a circuit somewhere?

Thanks for any thoughts

No, not a new battery this time
If you do a search you may find the posts on this quite common problem but go for the contacts of the connector onto the circuit board in the rear light cluster.I guess it's telling you which side it is too so that narrows it down. Remove the cluster, dismantle it and clean up the circuit board contacts where the electrical connector clips on with an eraser or contact cleaner. Test it out before you reinstall it

ATTACK FROM BELOW
Headlight bulb is quite easy if you go in through the wheel arch and remove the wheel liner-
liner 1.JPG
3 phillips screws here down the edge

liner 2.JPG
then a few around the back - not forgetting the one under the front door sill

liner 3.JPG
Looks heavy but it's only plastic, take out the liner completely as you want to have two hands in there.

cover1.JPG
take the bulb cover clip right off as it will only get in the way when replacing the cover
bulbs 1.JPG
Now you have easy access to the any of the bulbs

Whole job is 30 mins tops

OVER THE TOP LADS
If you have very nimble hands you can do it from the top but if you drop the bulb spring clip then it's wheel arch time
connector 1.JPG
For better access up top, remove this connector by pushing the clip inwards like this then pull the connector straight off

mag tool.JPG
Use a mag tool to remove and reinsert the bulb if going from the top

HOT TIPS
1 Remove the bulb connector BEFORE you take the bulb out as it can be a struggle to remove otherwise BUT put the connector on FIRST befor you reinstall the bulb as it will help you to hold the bulb
bulb alignment.JPG
2 Check you have the bulb inserted correctly by looking through the front glass and make sure it's perfectly in line behind the silver circular disc as this prevents forward dazzle. Without it you'll have to do the whole job again

3 When refitting the liner start at the front and work back. You may need a steel pointed tool to pull the liner over to align with the securing screw holes

cover 2.JPG
Make a note of how the cover fits to save you time. The 2 lugs form the hinge and most go in first. Then the U section at the other end must fit correctly dead centre over the retaining lug, then you just push squarley on cover to seal it onto the bulb cluster. Then you can refit the cover's clip quite easily from the top

Some people take the bumper off for access but that's a 2 man job and a real risk of damaging paintwork

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank you. I was thinking of trying to get the Mrs with her little hands to do it from the top, using the pax side for reference...

Back