Technical 2.5tdi, no vacuum for brake servo and oil pressure light on.

Currently reading:
Technical 2.5tdi, no vacuum for brake servo and oil pressure light on.

Cclint

Hi all

First time posting here.
Yesterday we had the camper packed up and ready to go for 2 weeks touring.
We have a 1995 Ducato based motorhome with 2.5tdi engine.
We started as normal and turned in the driveway however, when I drove to the gate I noticed the brake pedal had gone solid. Also looking down I saw the oil pressure light was on.
Turned off the engine straight away and started to investigate.
I downloaded the Manuel for the 230 Ducato mk2.
I notice there is a PTO unit under the injector pump which drives the oil pump and vacuum pump - gradually my hopes of this being a quick fix faded, as we unpacked all the food :(

I’ve searched around on Google and I can’t seem to find any similar faults which people have fixed.
Can anyone here advise on their experience of seeing this issue?
What’s the likely cause, what parts do I need what’s the labour like - reading the manual PTO removal looks reasonable invasive, timing belt and injector pump need to come off before the PTO unit can be removed.

Hi all

First time posting here.
Yesterday we had the camper packed up and ready to go for 2 weeks touring.
We have a 1995 Ducato based motorhome with 2.5tdi engine.
We started as normal and turned in the driveway however, when I drove to the gate I noticed the brake pedal had gone solid. Also looking down I saw the oil pressure light was on.
Turned off the engine straight away and started to investigate.
I downloaded the Manuel for the 230 Ducato mk2.
I notice there is a PTO unit under the injector pump which drives the oil pump and vacuum pump - gradually my hopes of this being a quick fix faded, as we unpacked all the food :(

I’ve searched around on Google and I can’t seem to find any similar faults which people have fixed.
Can anyone here advise on their experience of seeing this issue?
What’s the likely cause, what parts do I need what’s the labour like - reading the manual PTO removal looks reasonable invasive, timing belt and injector pump need to come off before the PTO unit can be removed.
Genuine question, how much oil is in the engine re oil light, if engine seriously low on oil obviously worry about damage to the engine, but also the oil lubricates the vacuum pump which if dry will not provide vacuum for the brakes. I have had several of these 2.5 and 2.8 engines in Iveco vans etc. Generally a very reliable engine. First make sure enough oil in engine and oil light goes out, engine running happy, no funny noises, then check if you have vacuum at the outlet from the pump, if lack of oil was the cause it may start to develop vacuum for the brakes if lucky.
Assuming you have no engine issues and oil light going out correctly, I suspect the main issue will getting hold of a new pump. On the Iveco Daily vans it was fairly easy for a competent mechanic to remove the whole front grill and radiator, then the timing covers and belts etc and the injector pump and pipes, the pump is held to the engine block with four long bolts, (two different sizes) etc.
If all this sounds a bit daunting, first check your engine oil level and correct if necessary and go from there.

Hi Mike

Some sound advice there thank you.
She’s full of oil unfortunately - or fortunately depending on your perspective :).
The engine runs well, doesn’t sound odd or no strange noises.

I checked the outlet of the vacuum pump and it’s not making vacuum at all when she’s running.
I don’t have an oil pressure gauge so I can’t check if she’s making pressure so haven’t run her much except for brief tests.

I think explorative surgery is required as you described.

Thanks for your feedback though, really appreciate your guidance

Hi Mike

Some sound advice there thank you.
She’s full of oil unfortunately - or fortunately depending on your perspective :).
The engine runs well, doesn’t sound odd or no strange noises.

I checked the outlet of the vacuum pump and it’s not making vacuum at all when she’s running.
I don’t have an oil pressure gauge so I can’t check if she’s making pressure so haven’t run her much except for brief tests.

I think explorative surgery is required as you described.

Thanks for your feedback though, really appreciate your guidance
Fingers crossed just a duff oil switch, maybe from standing. Still it might be an idea just to check oil is getting around the engine, it a long time ago so I can't remember for sure if you can take an oil cap off and look down on the cam. I know on the Ivecos that age there was a filler combined with that diesel pump arrangement on the side of the block. Failing that you may have to take the cam cover off . It's a messy way to check but if you took out the oil switch and got someone to start the engine for a couple of seconds you could see if oil shooting out under pressure, as long as you are not parked on your brand new block paved driveway;)
I have got rid of it all now so no help for you , but I used to have a load of spares for those Iveco Sofim engines as they used to run them in local mini buses, Given the age it may be hard to find spares. Having said that I was reading someone elses post on Ducatos recently and someone mention a company up North that had parts, so it might be worth looking on recent (last couple of weeks) Ducato technical posts to get his details. I have never had an issue with those vacuum pumps and some had done over 200k miles. The only other worry is if the oil pressure issue is connected re the drive to oil pump and vacuum pump. All the best Mike.

Back