Technical 2.0 JTD 16v 2004:- Slippy stuff. I'm on Edge. How about you?

Currently reading:
Technical 2.0 JTD 16v 2004:- Slippy stuff. I'm on Edge. How about you?

Zog

Established member
I'm going to change the oil, & use Castrol Edge FST 5W-40 (Euro Car Parts, "Bank Holiday discount", £33.47/4L), plus a MANN oil filter. I hope that's OK.

What do you put in yours?

Is there anything special to note or that's difficult when changing the oil?

Well, I'm annoyed about this.

First of all the ramps someone gave me need a board up the first bit else they foul the front "bumper".

Next, it's a mucky job and PVC gloves don't cut it. I've also got to get rid of half a bucket of very dirty oil.

Is it worth it? Well. Two well-known "fast fit" centres want £65 and £75, the former uses semi-synthetic, neither seem to know exactly what they would put in.

It cost me the effort plus £45.16, including the above oil/filter which is probably better than Fastfits would use, so it's a bit cheaper.

I should probably have used 10W-40. Will using 5W-40 cause problems?

Last edited:
Well, I'm annoyed about this.

First of all the ramps someone gave me need a board up the first bit else they foul the front "bumper".

Next, it's a mucky job and PVC gloves don't cut it. I've also got to get rid of half a bucket of very dirty oil.

Is it worth it? Well. Two well-known "fast fit" centres want £65 and £75, the former uses semi-synthetic, neither seem to know exactly what they would put in.

It cost me the effort plus £45.16, including the above oil/filter which is probably better than Fastfits would use, so it's a bit cheaper.

I should probably have used 10W-40. Will using 5W-40 cause problems?
First off, in my humble opinion, excellent choice of oil brand. I ran my 1.9 tdi SEAT CORDOBA on 5w-40 Comma fully synthetic for most of the 18 odd years I owned it. Never a problem and I'd say the Castrol product is probably superior - used to be factory fill on VAG as far as I know although there seems to be an overlap with Fuchs and I believe their Quantum oils are now Fuchs product. The difference between the 5w-40 and the 10w-40 is that the 5w rating means it will be slightly "thinner" when cold which could be a good thing as the oil will get through the engine galleries, and reach the parts that matter, just that little bit faster when the engine is started from cold. If you're being super careful you should also check that the oil meets your manufacturer's specification. (for instance, does it need to be low saps etc?)

As far as working on cars go, yes it's filthy and harmful to your health if you don't take care! I keep a bulk container, previously used to store diesel for a mini digger, which can hold 6 complete oil changes on the family cars. When full, we (grandson and self) take a trip to our local recycling centre where they have a large disposal tank. Job done. Grandson loves it!

Modern vehicles have much greater front overhang and lower bumpers that a few years ago - I too had ramp problems and extended them with angle iron which I welded in. Have to say though that I prefer to work with stands because once the vehicle is up on a drive on ramp how do you take a wheel off if you need to?

Is it worth it? Oh yes, every time! Because you know a quality oil and filter have been used. You know some "numpty" hasn't stripped your sump plug by ham fistedly overtightening it! You've had the chance to spot problems - oil and/or coolant leaks, burst driveshaft boots, suspension damage, condition of exhaust system, condition of inside sidewall of tyres, etc etc. Anyway, I'm still just a grubby kid at heart!
Regards
Jock

"I've also got to get rid of half a bucket of very dirty oil"

Hm, not quite. A bucket with a tiny pinhole in it..... Grrr!

Back