Technical 2.0 20v Injector problems

Currently reading:
Technical 2.0 20v Injector problems

muzzer

Hi people,

Got an intermittent problem with my '98 2.0 20v.
If I drive the car 'till its at normal temperature, then stop for a bit and restart the engine I get an injector warning light on the dashboard, this goes off again after a couple of minutes.
I want to replace the injector, so I have two questions:
1. Is there any way of finding out which one is faulty (without resorting to a Fiat dealership)
2. Any tips on changing one - I know carbs very well but injection systems are new to me and I don't want petrol squirting everywhere :eek:

Thanks for any information
Muzzer

The injection warning light means that there's something amiss somewhere in the entire injection system, not necessarily just an injector. Have the fault codes read from the ecu, a decent mechanic should be able to do it for under £30, and it should pinpoint the fault.

i know this is an old post but with injectors being all too common fault on the 20V and 16V i thought i would reply anyway.

to test them you idealy need a test probe that can supply 12v and an earth cable.

if you unplug the main connector to the injectors (black one) and connect the earth wire to one of the terminals (end one i think) and then power up one of the other five(or four if its a 4cyl) you will hear the injector 'click' that means its working, go along all the wires until to get one that doesnt click thats the duff one.

i cant exactly remember which is earth but you just pull back the rubber cover to see, no harm will be done if you connect it wrong anyway.

if you replace one be very very carefull they are so fragile you can bust a new one before you even get it fitted.

almost forgot dont buy an injector from fiat there a ripoff got to either FUEL PARTS (£50) or desira(parts force) and ask for a non genuine one.

Back