Technical 1998 fiat scudo 1.9 td will not start when cold

Currently reading:
Technical 1998 fiat scudo 1.9 td will not start when cold

johnkirby166

The van will not start when cold just turns over and over and does not fire.When it does start it will restart immediately and up to 3 to 4 hours later when just luke warm.It will also start form cold with easy start.I have checked there is 12 volts to all glow plugs.Is this more likely to be a glow plugs or fuel related problem.All help will be much appreciated.

The van will not start when cold just turns over and over and does not fire.When it does start it will restart immediately and up to 3 to 4 hours later when just luke warm.It will also start form cold with easy start.I have checked there is 12 volts to all glow plugs.Is this more likely to be a glow plugs or fuel related problem.All help will be much appreciated.

hi, have you tried cycling the plugs..? = warming them a few times without cranking, then heat and crank.. IF it starts better you've got a lazy plug or two,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,thanks for your reply but i have tried that and it makes no difference,and what i don't understand is why would it restart immediately after starting from cold?also if i take it out for a run of 20 minutes it will restart again up to 3 to 4 hours later.Would it be the plugs.John

Check lines for any air leaks, when was fuel filter last changed, is starter turning over fast enough to start engine. Check oil see how thick it is.

Thanks r maters,oil has just been changed,fuel filter changed a couple of years ago,engine turns over very fast and has a fully charged battery,not sure how to check fuel lines for air leaks.John

Has yours got a primer bulb on it try pumping it first thing in morning till it goes hard in case diesel is draining back into tank

Hi r masters,have tried hand pumping the primer bulb till hard but that makes no difference either.John

Thanks r masters,have fitted new glow plugs and it still will not start,any other suggestions.Thanks again John.

If it starts when warm but struggles when cold check your valve clearances as the shims wear down.

Check the double relay and all connections and check loom under fuel filter for cracks...had similar problem with my 99 1.9 td heap and it was a combo of all three

Had the same problem a couple of years ago, did a leak down test and could not get a reading on any of the cylinders, valves needed ground in & re-shimmed.

Last edited:
What was the fix to your vans cold starting problem?

Is starter motor turning over fast enough had one the same it was starter motor

A non start from cold but a start from warm as already has been said is usually duff glow plugs or lack of compression, in our case it was the valves. We checked the tappets and most were tight, we removed the camshaft to sort out the shims then decided to do a leak-down test while the camshaft was off and all valves closed, no reading on any cylinder, so took the head off to check the valves, all needed ground in. Maybe a common fault on the engine, valve recession or shims?

My home made leakdown tester, utilising a drilled-out glowplug and a Schrader valve from a tyre valve.

Attachments

• DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 51
Was speaking to a mechanic from a local garage the other day, and he said valve/seat wear is a common problem on the 1.9 engine, and the first thing to check if the engine is struggling to start is the tappets.
Once air was injected into the cylinders on our engine, it was obvious straight away that the head needed to come off, as the air was whistling out the inlet trunking & the exhaust pipe.

Back