Technical 1997 Ducato 2.5 Warning lighs & Glow Plug Problem

Currently reading:
Technical 1997 Ducato 2.5 Warning lighs & Glow Plug Problem

odyssey2200

Hi

Newbie here asking for help.

I have just had a call from my father who has a 1997 2500 TD Ducato motorhome.

He is just south of Le Mans at the moment, heading for Spain but has started experiencing problems.

Firstly the Engine Temp warning light has come on, although the gauge reads normal and the engine does not appear to be too hot and coolant level is fine.
A few miles later the Glow plug light has come on and the Glow Plugs seem to be cutting in.

Has anyone come across this before or can anyone point me in the direction of a wiring diagram, please?

IMHO is sounds like an earth or wiring problem as opposed to actually overheating.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

can you explain what you mean by the glow plugs are cutting in?
i dont think they are related problems as the plugs are for preheating on starting.
does the fan come on at all?
the TD has 2 seperate fans the second comes on at 92 degrees and is thermostatically controlled from the radiator but could be wired to a on off switch if not working

If the plugs are cutting in, then its most likely a problem with the glow plug relay switching on. As for the temperature light, probably the engine temp sensor staring to pack up.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies

I am trying to get in touch with my father to get more info.

It has been suggested also, by another forum, that that light might be the "water in the fuel" light which aparently will cause the glow plugs to come on (?)

I have sent a text but will update as soon as I get any reply

Unscrew the drain screw under the diesel fuel filter (jar or something similar underneath to catch fuel) if its water in the fuel system it will gather there until its full, then its into the engine! Poor quality fuel is the cause, recommend him to Shell or BP stations if there are any near him and a diesel fuel filter change asap if water has gathered in it.

Back