General 1987 Fiat Uno

Currently reading:
General 1987 Fiat Uno

jijibuggi

I have recently bought this 1987 70sl with a 1299cc carburated engine. It needs some TLC however its in fair condition for its age and price. Does anyone know anything about this specific model of Uno OR can point out any important tips/things to know about the car? Any information will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0654 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0654 - Copy.JPG
    941.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
I am jealous!
My first FIAT was, as coincidence has it a 1987 Fiat Uno 70sl and it was a fun car.
Mine didn't have the fog lights from memory.
One of the main things to look out for was rusting around the door sills - check the drainage holes aren't blocked, but even so I don't think they weren't galvanised so it could happen anyway.
Also rust around the sunroof (if you've got one).
Other than that mine was pretty reliable, and the few things that went wrong were relatively easy to fix - even for a novice like me.
Also, the hot air intake pipes on them were flexible and easily holed. If you have loss of power on cold mornings this is the first place to look!
Have fun.

The crankshafts of these models are very desired by race enthusiast here in Germany . 1300 ccm ist a race class here.
The bore is high and the stroke is low . So these engines are good for high revs.
Whenever the car is done , save the engine.

In a nutshell, rust.

Pay special attention to the rear inner wings & strut turrets, inner & outer sills & floorpans, but, Mk1`s can rust just about anywhere, so keep a close eye on it.

Rustproof it as soon as possible after checking theres no areas that need welding.

Mechanically, make sure the inner driveshaft boots are undamaged & arent cracking/perishing as they hold the oil in the gearbox. While you are in that area, make sure the gearbox has oil in it (20/50 engine oil seems best) as the gearbox is much more likely to break than the engine.

Other than that, they have no unusual problems.

Enjoy!

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Unfortunately I haven't started any work on it as I'm finishing off another uno mk1 project. So for the time being it's resting in the garage. However I have noticed some things that need to be done to it; such as faulty central locking system, defective passenger side electric window motor, gearbox mounting, etc. Also the engine will need a service and will also replace front shocks as they are finished. Despite all these defects, the car runs well and was quite a bargain so I'm happy :)

Back