Technical 1978 Speedometer Cable

Currently reading:
Technical 1978 Speedometer Cable

Ken Wells

Have two 1978's (one parts car) that both carry the snap on plastic end. The vendor has sent me the earlier cable with the screw on end. I called to return the wrong cable, the vendor claims the correct cable was sent and the snap on cable came on the 79 Spiders.
Was this a mid-year change for the 78 models?

TIA:)

Hi Ken,

I can't really answer your question other than to say that back in the day,
Fiat parts books/microfiche system used to indicate when parts were changed/superceded and at which relevant chassis numbers.
So unless you can find someone who still has access to the old system........

Nowadays where replacement parts are concerned, you'll often see e.g. >1978 or 1979> in the online catalogs of parts suppliers but of course changes can occur midway during the year, cars aren't always sold soon after being built, etc., so things can get tricky.

P.S. Iirc, sometimes there are inked date stamps on the rear of some instrument gauges so sometimes you can get a good idea of build date there.

Maybe return the new cable and ask for one to suit a 1979 model?

Al.

Hi Ken,

I can't really answer your question other than to say that back in the day,
Fiat parts books/microfiche system used to indicate when parts were changed/superceded and at which relevant chassis numbers.
So unless you can find someone who still has access to the old system........

Nowadays where replacement parts are concerned, you'll often see e.g. >1978 or 1979> in the online catalogs of parts suppliers but of course changes can occur midway during the year, cars aren't always sold soon after being built, etc., so things can get tricky.

P.S. Iirc, sometimes there are inked date stamps on the rear of some instrument gauges so sometimes you can get a good idea of build date there.

Maybe return the new cable and ask for one to suit a 1979 model?

Al.
Thanks Al, got the other cable listed, besides being about a foot too long worked perfectly.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the update, glad you got it sorted. :)

Cable being a foot too long sounds like the wrong cable?

Was curious why you renewed the cable, thought there would have been one good useable one between your 2 cars. Speedo. cables ime give very little trouble, can't remember ever having to replace one on a 124.

Any update on progress with your rewiring? Time consuming isn't it!! :bang:

Regards,

AL.

Back