General 1974 Spider, Perfect Body. Sitting for years.

Currently reading:
General 1974 Spider, Perfect Body. Sitting for years.

MorbidKoder

I have just recently acquired a 1974 Fiat Spider.

The body is in perfect condition, aside from a very VERY small amount of rust on one of the bumpers. And I mean, I could probably scratch it off with my fingernails. It came from California, and has been sitting for maybe 10 years without running.

It of course doesnt run( i was told ), nor do I want to try and start it.

I need help though, I have moderate experience in automobiles and have modified a honda civic for performance, and thats about it.

I need some help on what to do next with this car? I want to modify it for performance eventually, however first I would like to at least get it running clean and sound. Before the car went sitting, it was running perfectly.

Any ideas?

off the top of my head

new tyres
drain and replace the fuel
replace the brake fluid
oil and coolant change
may need new HT leads,plugs depending on its state other iginition parts like the distributer cap and rotor arm

you may want to just turn it by hand 1st to ensure the engines not seized before paying out money.

so lucky,10 years sitting over here = a nice pile of rust and wheels

If i were to turn it even for a split second, could it do alot more damage by sucking in the fuel thats been sitting in there?

yes,dont even try.that fuel is deader than dead.
you can remove the fuel feed and just try starting it from a jerry can feed.
did this on a car before checking its viability.
however check the oil 1st and ensure you can turn it by hand. you may want to put some fresh(even cheap stuff) oil in there before trying it

i just bought a spider that has sat for 15 years. change the oil, then attemt to turn it by hand. if it turns, drain the gas, change the plugs and coolant and re-fill the tank, then try to start it.

When you refill the tank, use 1/2 can of seafoam and 4oz of 2-stroke oil. Keeps you from frying the rings on start up. New battery, fuel filter, soak your calipers with PB blaster and beat them with a rubber mallet to loosen em up. You can swap out the pads later. WD all over every electrical connection and spin all your fuses and work all your electrical plugs a few times with wd too.

Back