Technical 1969 FIAT ABARTH 595 - does not start anymore

Currently reading:
Technical 1969 FIAT ABARTH 595 - does not start anymore

YellowRed1969

Hello. I hope I’m in the right place here. Looking for technical help with my 1969 ABARTH 595. Shell is 1969 but motor and transmission only have 350km (came from Italy) on it. She always took a while to start up, now in Florida quicker than up in the Northeast. But now she is not firing up anymore. I changed the battery, blew out fuel lines, cleaned the fuel filter, replaced spark plugs. It is cranking but not starting. Last drive she started stuttering and needed a lot of gas to stay alive, then shut off and did not fire up again. That engine is so tiny, I keep wondering what else can be wrong with it. Any help greatly appreciated. Last resort would be a mechanic but I’m not there yet. Some pics below.
70257961734__CE621DF4-8FD7-460D-B0C6-2A37C4D6751F.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg
70257959108__01B49A80-131B-4D64-BA35-896073D52F5C.jpeg

Probably it could use a carburetor cleaning. And check if the fuel pump is working.
Also, the air filter looks really bad, very dirty. Fit a new one!

It could also be the distributor. Check the points gap, the spark timing and if you're getting a spark at all.

The fuel, in that filter, also looks dirty. Make sure the tank is alright and the fuel filter is the right way round

Don’t check that online filter, get rid of it asap. A plastic filter on the fuel line is so dangerous ⚠️ and a fire risk being close to the hottest part of the exhaust.
For the engine to run assuming it is mechanically sound you need a spark at the plugs and fuel in the carb so you need to test both then work from there.
If no spark check the points gap and for power at points. If no luck change condenser.
If you have spark and fuel is getting to the carb check for air leaks at the base of the carb and you may need to strip the carb to check the jets are clear.
All of these things and more have been described in detail on this forum many many time so I would suggest you take some time out and search some of the threads as it will stand you in good stead, good luck.

In the Haynes, Fiat 500 manual, there is a very good flow chart that shows the logical path for troubleshooting the causes of a non-starting engine.
I must totally agree with 'Toshi'----remove that fuel filter between the pump and the carb. Not only (as Toshi wisely pointed out) close to the exhaust, but it is pretty well just over the dynamo; if it started to leak, have a fire-extinguisher handy! It is also surpurfluous as you already have 3filters in the fuel system--a filter in the tank-unit, one in the top of the fuel-pump and yet a 3rd in the top of the carb---check that they are all clear. If the problem DOES turn out to be the condenser, the best answer is to obtain a condenser with TWO long leads on it (earth and feed) and fit it up by the coil. Modern condesnsers are knowere near as good as the original factory items and are very susceptable to heat. The hot 'cooling' air that is blown over the engine---it blasts out over the distributor. SWIFTUNE and SHACKTUNE (both unfortunately for you, UK companies but they sell 'on-line') can supply these 'competition'type condensers.

Back