General 195 65 15

Currently reading:
General 195 65 15

jayworth2

2014 Panda cross currently running 185 65 15 standard winter tyres all round on Panda Cross 15" alloys. I cannot find a definitive answer regarding if a 195 65 15 standard winter tyre would fit without rubbing on wheel arch liners etc
Are there any Cross owners with this as a long term set up able to confirm please?

Attachments

• cross alloy.gif
    cross alloy.gif
    123.2 KB · Views: 210
2014 Panda cross currently running 185 65 15 standard winter tyres all round on Panda Cross 15" alloys. I cannot find a definitive answer regarding if a 195 65 15 standard winter tyre would fit without rubbing on wheel arch liners etc
Are there any Cross owners with this as a long term set up able to confirm please?

This would normally be my "go to" reference but Cross not explicitly noted although if you assume 4x4 then that should be correct and I don't see 195/65/15 at first glance.

https://www.wheelfitment.eu/car.html

Last edited:
In order to allow the standard 185/65 tyres to be used, Fiat use a different wheel offset on the Cross compared to all the other Pandas. This allows the wheels on full lock to miss (just) the subframe. On the 4x4 (non Cross), the edge of the subframe are machined away (by Fiat) to give room... These two factors show that the clearance is 'tight'. In the rear wheel arch (again based on my 4x4) there is very little room between the 'back' of the tyres and the wheel arch liner...

In passing: Generally, winter tyres work better when narrower, not wider, as this allows the car to 'cut down' through snow etc to reach the road beneath. This is one good reason why the 4x4 uses 175 width.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but shows the clearances are all pretty tight.

Last edited:
I know it has been months and I'm late to the party, but I clearly recall a Cross owner managing to finagle 195/60/15 (65 sidewall wouldn't fit) on them here on the forum years ago. It was that Norwegian fellow who did the whole sound insulation/deadening thing with high-end speakers in all the regular door trim and spaces who moved on to a Tesla and deleted his account here, hence all his posts are gone too. Just adding this to for anyone who does a forum search and ends up here in that getting 195 base to fit requires sidewall reduction because 65's rub on the rear shock under compression and on both the arch liner (on the outer tyre at all suspension levels) and front subframe (oddly under compression and extension but not normal ride height). Also have to confirm Herts in that 175's are better for snow especially, while 185's and 195's end up somewhat better on merely wet (but cold) asphalt.

Edit: Importantly, I remember he had to use wheel spacers (I think 20mm hub centric) to fit 195s and they still rubbed a little on the inner arches under full lock while turning, while someone else managed to get away with 20mm spacers at the rear and 15 or 16 at the front without rubbing. This was a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy.

Last edited:
Back