125,000 miles. How much longer will it live?

Currently reading:
125,000 miles. How much longer will it live?

BML

I've just seen an advertisement for a Fiat Hymer 544 with 125,000 miles on the clock. How much longer will it live? In the event of the engine passing away does anyone know what the cost of a replacement would be?

I've just seen an advertisement for a Fiat Hymer 544 with 125,000 miles on the clock. How much longer will it live? In the event of the engine passing away does anyone know what the cost of a replacement would be?
Hymer seems to be the best quality MH.
I am assuming yours has the 2.3 Sofim engine as fitted to many working vans, so if correctly serviced regularly should be good for approaching 200K miles.
Having said that I bought an ex delivery 2.3 Sofim engined Iveco Daily extended long wheel base van with around 230K miles but it had had a replacement engine from the dealers at around 176K miles, this was over ten years ago and the Dealer Invoice was £5K then, so who knows what the cost would be now. Generally MHs have lower mileages than working vans, so hopefully it has been regularly serviced.:)

I did have a Hymer Camper once but have no idea what the engine was possibly the standard 2.5 having said that surely there must be refurbished power units on the market.

I did have a Hymer Camper once but have no idea what the engine was possibly the standard 2.5 having said that surely there must be refurbished power units on the market.
The earlier ones probably were the 2.5 Sofim , but they are few and far between these days, even the 2.8 versions, so parts getting harder to source. The later ones are 2.3 and 3 litre Sofim DOHC engines, which are more fuel efficient etc.
Old campers still hold their value when if the same van it was derived from has rightly been replaced/scrapped, this means it is harder to get parts for older campers.
Apart from the size restrictions, to me the campers that you backed your pick up under and bolted on made sense as they could easily be replaced with a newer pick up
There are plenty of "refurbished" units, however you will have to satisfy your self as to how well "refurbished" they are.;)

Back