Tuning 1242 head onto 998 fire engine

Currently reading:
Tuning 1242 head onto 998 fire engine

kermit170

hi asked over on uno page but got no answer,
is it possible to fit a spi 1242 head with 866 cam onto an early carb 998 block or will valve clearance be a problem with smaller bore

why not fit 866 cam on to 999cc head instead?
Re-jet carb, model up the fuel pump lobe and done.

At least that's my next engine mode planned.

the punto head has bigger ports and valves and is already shimmed for the cam

the p75 head has a different intake manifold bolt pattern. the bottom bolts are the same but the top bolts sit higher.
you would need to ally weld extra metal to the original manifold.

theres also no place for a mechanical fuel pump. you would have to make the hole in the side yourself, and machine a lobe into the cam. alternatively you can just use an electric solenoid pump.

thats the only issues you would have.

the p75 head has a different intake manifold bolt pattern. the bottom bolts are the same but the top bolts sit higher.
you would need to ally weld extra metal to the original manifold.

theres also no place for a mechanical fuel pump. you would have to make the hole in the side yourself, and machine a lobe into the cam. alternatively you can just use an electric solenoid pump.

thats the only issues you would have.

cheers i knew about pump, its not a punto 75 just has 866 cam fitted, most of the 1998-99 mk1 punto 60's seem to have them over here

ahh i see. sadly any FIRE MPI head will have larger intake ports and intake manifold bolts layout. SPI (P60) head will bolt straight on.

Fixed that for you.

SPI gasket, MPI manifold
DSC_0132_1.JPG

Last edited:
Back