Technical 121k which oil !!

Currently reading:
Technical 121k which oil !!

cwc2128

ok picked up a 99 T seicento its covered 121k no history few bills for oil chnges etc for past few years but was a bit grumbly.and ford dagenham changed the oil and put 5w30 in it which i was not to happy with so i flushed it with stp came out blck, put the last 2 litres in the bottle in and about 1.2 litre of atf i had from my old car and it came out cleaner.
car part shop did not have 10w40 so i got carlube 15w40 only £9 ish cheaoy to flush and see if a thicker oil will shut it up but obviously to thick for the lifters and chaged fliter, it started and tappets were screeming for ages untill warm and still grumbling in sump area, wacked in a bottle of moly slip.
now i am going to drain it again but question is with 121k shall i stick with recommended 10w40 as magnated in halfords is £21 at moment or go thinner say 5w40.

Best to investigate the tappets directly. Don't look at an oil or an additive to do the work for you -- it can't. A search will throw up lots of threads on tappets for the 889.

The recommended oil is a 10-50 now, previously FIAT recommended 15-40. Semi synthetic will be fine, no point in going thinner.

If it's an 1108, the tappets are not hydraulic (shim over bucket): anticipate a horrorshow if it's that noisy.

Last edited:
Sorry guys its the tidly 899cc but like i say noisy on initial start up after oil filter change untill warm then ok, can here noise thre dash when driving not unbearable not like a ford fiesta or anything, but more concerned about the grumbling from the crank/sump area, im just worried that its to thick for the on coming winter and dont want noisy cold starts...

thanks for the replies think im going to empty the 15w40 and then flush again with the rmaining 2 litres in the bottle the refill with 10w40 , i am pretty sure my old 97 cinq sounded the same, o well, as i spent yesterday morning replacing the inner cv boot as it had no fluids in the gearbox now replaced i think it just needs some use and hopefully will all smooth out in time as it been runnung with no gear oil to but it was a cheapy and has a years ticket.

Could be -- that the rumbling is from the gearbox. I use Asada on brand 20-50 for flushing -- it's only £6 a gallon. Dump the old oil, re-fill with the rubbish, let the fan cycle twice, dump it, change filter, fill with the "real" stuff.

Let us know how it survives. A complete Cinq Sporting (1108 engine) sans ticket (they're at a stage now where body rot and the -- environmentally suicidal -- scrappage scheme are taking their toll) would make a good donor.

Gear box is quiet as a mouse as i refilled with 2 litres of 80w90 and i flushed and changed oil and filter this afternoon, was going to use castrol magnatec but after googling changed my mind as not a lot of people like it as its actually a mineral oil, so opted for carlube triple R semi synth def inately quieter but still not dead quiet i am sure the noise may well be the timing chain, just have to but up with it i suppose.

Well its not the tappets i have a prob with i think its the chain will see if it quietens after a run.

the book quotes 15w40 for cinq's and 10w40 for scei

Back