Technical 1100 engine cutting out problem

Currently reading:
Technical 1100 engine cutting out problem

Grommet

I would be extremely gratefull if someone could help me out with this one!:worship:
I have a 1989 Italian registered Tipo 1100 DGT, after the engine has been running for about 5-10 mins it cuts out, switch off ignition and on again and it starts but only for a few seconds, sometimes I have to do this 10 or 15 times before the problem clears. It cuts out cleanly so I don't think its fuel but I have replaced the fuel pump and filter just in case. It seems to be worse when the weather is cold and when it is running fast Once the problem has cleared it will run all day perfectly well:bang: Unfortunately here in Kefallonia (Greece)the local mechanics haven't got a clue! HELP!!
NB The fuel filter only looks full afterit has been idle for some time otherwise there just seems to be a very small amount in the bottom when the engine is running, is this normal?

...after the engine has been running for about 5-10 mins it cuts out, switch off ignition and on again and it starts but only for a few seconds, sometimes I have to do this 10 or 15 times before the problem clears.
I had almost the same symptoms and it was solved by changing the ECU. Unfortunately, the cost is extremely high compared to the value of the car (approximately 500€ if a new ECU is installed).
What happens is that the ECU jams and does not give signal to spray fuel and as a result the engine turns off or does not turn on.
What happened to me is that the engine turned off while I was driving, not allowing me to turn it on again. I called the road assistance and the car was taken to the FIAT service station. Before going away (it was night) I tried to turn the engine on and it did. Unfortunately that lasted only for 2-3 seconds and then it went off again. The same scenario took place the next morning, before leaving the car to the hands of the mechanics.

P.S. As you can see I' m also from Greece, so if you have any question you can ask it in greek.

Καλη επισκευή...

Last edited:
Thanks 4troxoi, I had better start looking for a Tipo wreck!!!
There are many wrecks here in Kef, but no Tipos!!!

Whats the performance of Tipo with that engine? Acc. top speed?

Thanks 4troxoi, I had better start looking for a Tipo wreck!!!
There are many wrecks here in Kef, but no Tipos!!!

If I am not seriously mistaken here, your Tipo 1.1 uses the same 1108 ccm Fire engine found on Fiat Uno 1.1 (60).
I would think that the SPI system would be the same then. If you cannot locate a wrecked Tipo, it may be that the pieces from Uno would do.

I personally think that the ECU is the very last think to replace, it is the most reliable part of the whole system (unless shortened/blown by someone who did not know what he was doing). Check your old ECU ID while outsourcing the "new" one.

Also, it may be worth a try to disconnect the (-) terminal from the battery for at least 30 minutes to reset your existing ECU and see what it does.

From what I gathered yet, the parts of the Bosch Mono Jetronic system which most frequently cause troubles are engine temperature sensor, throttle position sensor and stepper motor.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back