Technical 100hp Ipod cable.

Currently reading:
Technical 100hp Ipod cable.

DavePanda100

100hp
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
have a look on blue spot car audio. they have about the largest range of leads. yes it looks like the right one.
I dont have that problem, my kenwood head unit has a usb port. with a 8gb flash memory stick loads of music.:D

have a look on blue spot car audio. they have about the largest range of leads. yes it looks like the right one.
I dont have that problem, my kenwood head unit has a usb port. with a 8gb flash memory stick loads of music.:D

I had a look on Bluespot and it looks like the same cable but says it can't be used in factory fit units.

I don't want to change the head unit, I like the steering wheel controls (I know someone has done them but at the moment his is the only one) and the bluetooth for the phone.

Anyone else any help or is it a case of spending £10 to see if it works :confused:

The ebay listing also says that it is unlikely to work with factory-fit units. I remember a post from a while back regarding this lead, I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT: I can't find it. I might have imagined it. But I'm sure someone did have some success with an ebay lead. By the way, the lead you're looking at isn't really ideal for an ipod. Surely you'd be better off with one that has a dock connector on the end? A 3.5 stereo jack 1. won't charge your ipod and 2. will reduce your sound quality.

Last edited:
I got the official Fiat one and saw it being fitted - it was a good bit more elaborate than that one on eBay. For starters, that one will plug into the headphone socket, meaning that you won't be able to skip tracks to cycle through playlists via the head unit / steering wheel.

This is the real one. Bit more expensive, unfortunately.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I got the official Fiat one and saw it being fitted - it was a good bit more elaborate than that one on eBay. For starters, that one will plug into the headphone socket, meaning that you won't be able to skip tracks to cycle through playlists via the head unit / steering wheel.

This is the real one. Bit more expensive, unfortunately.

£80 :eek: but if that's the proper one for the job it might be worth splashing out on that instead of an inferior cable.

Can you use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks?

£80 :eek: but if that's the proper one for the job it might be worth splashing out on that instead of an inferior cable.

Can you use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks?

I assume so - the steering wheel controls aren't standard on Irish spec, annoyingly. I was quoted €390 today to get a wheel fitted with the controls on :mad:

How it works is that it allows you to navigate playlists via the head unit (and I assume steering wheel). I've set it up so I have a play list of 'best of', one for new Podcasts and another for various albums I'd like to listen to on that particular day. You cycle between the playlist by pressing the 'up' button on the right hand side of the head unit, then skip between tracks using the left and right buttons. Basically, the head unit treats your iPod as a CD changer. You plug your lead into the iPod (my lead is hidden in the glovebox), and while it's playing it charges for you - plus there's a Fiat logo on your iPod screen, which is cool. :)

It's not without its problems - sometimes the playlists don't play properly, or it'll just play the first song on a loop. That's rare though, it's usually very handy. You also can't access the iPod's menu while it's plugged in, meaning that if it's not on the playlist then you can't really listen to it.

Mine cost €140 fitted (about £110 at the time). Not cheap, but I've certainly had my money's worth out of it. I believe the same kit for the new Mini is around £180, so it's not such a bad price I suppose. I think there's a good alternative from a company called Denison - I looked into them briefly and the seem to have a good reputation, but I decided on the Fiat one as there were few Denison suppliers near me. It might be worth putting up a thread on the ICE section, just Googled there but couldn't find anything.

All I'd say is try and find a lead that plugs into the bottom of an iPod rather in the headphone socket. I'd imagine you'll find something a good deal cheaper than what I paid.

Good luck! :D

I would certainly go for the proper kit. I've got an iPod kit in my car and it would be dangerous changing tracks using the iPod but using the buttons on the head unit or better yet steering wheel is much better.

Anyone know if this cable works if you have the optional multi changer and bass bin fitted? I've had the stereo out and can't see any free connectors on the back.

Cheers, Tom

Think the iPod interface plugs into the cd changer connections behind the glovebox so I would've thought it was unlikely though if you use an iPod you wouldn't want the cd changer anyway would you?

Cheers for that info, the car came fitted with the CD changer when I got it second hand so I'm stuck with it!

Myself if I was specing up the car from new i'd go for an i-pod cable rather than a multi changer.

Tom

Back