General 100,000 Miles

Currently reading:
General 100,000 Miles

cmm.sedici

So my trusty Sedici has hit the big 100,000 miles. I've owned it since it was 10 months old and had 18,000 on the clock.

Mechanical
The EGR failed which lead to the DPF clogging. This was around 83,000 miles. Cost best part of £1,000 all in after a lot of faffing around over Christmas.

The front right wheel bearing started to fail so replaced it.

The front right coil spring broke apart so replaced it.

Economy & Power
Still getting on average 46mpg. Did a run from Enfield to Bath the other week and got 55mpg due to the M4 being a bit slow.

Noticing a slight loss of power from when it was new(ish), it's only marginal and still attempts to rip your face off when it feels like it.

Cosmetic
Front window motors began to fail weeks after I got the car so had it replaced under warranty. Spot on now.

Smashed a front fog light, bought a replacement and fitted it myself (by sticking my hand up the wheel arch into the bumper. Cold and not fun but doable).

Rear left bit of trim on the bumper isn't seated properly. It's always been like it and I can't be bothered to fix it. It doesn't really bother me.

Paintwork is absolutely spot on, cleans up nicely except where it's been pelted with grit and general road flotsam but not that noticeable.

Had a few sidelight bulbs go so replaced them with LED ones. Look a little bit blingy but do the job.

Trapped a bit of cloth in the mechanism when putting a rear seat back in place. This locked up the release mechanism and I eventually through blind idiocy ripped the pull cord out. Had to replace the whole seat. Best part of £350. Silly.

Mods

Decided that the boot light was a bit weedy so installed two strips of LED lights on each side. Was fun to do and did a post on it as I remember.

Paralleled off the cigarette lighter to install a micro USB phone charger that I routed to just above the air vent on the right of the steering wheel. Perfect length to reach my phone in its RAM cradle.

Installed a cigarette lighter in the boot (where the wiring was already there, and also one at the back of the centre console (for fellow surfers/bikers wanting to charge phones in the back).

Future
Going to keep it going for a few more years until I can afford something with cheaper tax and better economy (thinking Quashqai 1.6 DCI Ntec £30 tax, going on 80mpg). Will be lucky to get £3-4k back from the Sedici, but pretty normal depreciation I suppose. Bought it for £8k in 2008.

Overall
Car has its flaws (fairly hard ride, piddly boot) but day to day it's brilliant. Motorway commuting is easy with the high ride position and power to get you in and out of trouble.
Using it for mountain biking or surfing trips it's great and looks the business.

Hope this is interesting/useful to some of you!

Attachments

• 20130217_165444.jpg
    20130217_165444.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
Nice one cmm... We're at 95k now in our 1.6 so out of interest sake........
Owned 4 years now and had 41k on it when we got it.

Mechanical
Air-con has stopped working twice. Replaced main pipe around engine as holed. Leaking again now pending further investigation.
Only other mechanical issue was rear bearing - rears come as a complete Hub assembly unit - £300 from Fiat but Ad on this forum got one for half that! (y)

Economy & Power
Around 36 MPG on a run..... Still pleasantly suprised with abilities. Yes its darn noisey on acceleration but once up to speed its fine on the motorway as long as you keep in mind its not a sportscar. In fact in many ways the Suzuki unit is typically Fiat - Loud and needs pedal to get moving but generally goes well. TBH we rarely go over 4k rpm. Not needed really for what we use it for.

Cosmetic
Already had a scratched bumper and damaged door mirror before us.
Bodywork had lifeshine treatment from new and has lasted well. Still shines ok when its washed. Wheels have dulled a little but even though slight scuffs they not pitted at all. Scratched the dash upper loading a ladder inside when I moved house. The mats get grubby quickly but thats probably us having two young sportsmen in the house!

Mods
None really. Fitted Fiat accessories - Centre console netting and rear boot liner.

Future
Will keep as the family workhorse until a change in late 2014/early 2015.
May as well now given the value and the fact that its still totally reliable.
I have a company car option - will check prices. Wifes car so she wants an Evoque but far too pricey or All4 Countryman. Will see on possible 500X deals when around. We'd have an S2 facelift Sedici if we could find one in Eleganza spec! (not seen one in the UK)

Overall
My wifes car which followed her Brava then Stilo. We have been really pleased with it. Great in the snow. Terrific all rounder. We did not pay much more than £4k for it nearly 4 years ago so it was an absolute bargain that to be honest owes us nothing.

We have it for five years now.....176000km.........a few rattles and a temperamental lambda sensor .......the rest was just ordinary maintenance .......up to a few days ago .....

Now the radio amp is gone......disaster for my wife:slayer:......

Bought a double din unit online and will find out soon how well it will fit in ?.

The car is just a workhorse ......but a good one

Back