Technical 1.9 Multi jet Cambelt?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 Multi jet Cambelt?

I changed my egr this week and my mpg average has gone from 45 upto 51 overnight.
Makes sense really as when egr is blocked engine is not so efficient as the turbo is unresponsive at low revs.

The message being; keeping cars serviced and replacing parts with finite lives in good time will keep them on the road a whole lot longer - and with a bit of luck, trouble free.

It has to be cheaper to change oil and expendable items in good time, rather than waiting for something to go wrong and then having massive expense and inconvenience.

Is it just me that gets a bit miffed when a Noob comes on here calling long established members "stupid" & "a fool"?

People are welcome to their opinions, and despite offering a feeble "this is not a personal attack" it does look like one!

More subtlety required I say... Sharkrider has plenty to offer FF members.

Sometimes it is better to ignore people who offend you, intentionally or not.

I feel the 90k cambelt change is a bit optimistic, especially for a remapped engine. I am sure however that Fiat has tested their parts and therefore I would not blame anybody who follows manufacturer's recommendations.

I am planning to replace mine at 62k, which coincides with the year 4 service. I simply want peace of mind, especially now that my car is remapped. But this is my own choice and would not try to persuade anyone else to do as I do.

This is a free world, remember...

Calling someone you know nothing about stupid isn't too charming, or sensible. But it really is a matter of language; there are other ways of expressing total disagreement of course. And even the toughest people can be hurt on these sites sometimes.

However, this forum is very robust, and I like that; too may of them are totally insipid, with nobody saying anything of interest and majoring on repeating how much some car looks like some other car - as if it matters. Boring!

FF is not boring - usually - and for better or worse it probably is best to let people express themselves as they wish. Ultimately a pattern forms and the person's idiosyncrasies reveal themselves and comments then get a perspective.

Too much policing is never a good idea.:p

PS, Fiat now recommends 60,000 changes.

Calling someone you know nothing about stupid isn't too charming, or sensible. But it really is a matter of language; there are other ways of expressing total disagreement of course. And even the toughest people can be hurt on these sites sometimes.

However, this forum is very robust, and I like that; too may of them are totally insipid, with nobody saying anything of interest and majoring on repeating how much some car looks like some other car - as if it matters. Boring!

FF is not boring - usually - and for better or worse it probably is best to let people express themselves as they wish. Ultimately a pattern forms and the person's idiosyncrasies reveal themselves and comments then get a perspective.

Too much policing is never a good idea.:p

PS, Fiat now recommends 60,000 changes.

Quality Post Ulpian... I'm better today! :D

You actually know me Mr Ffoxy - from 2 years ago. So your "Newbie" comments don't wear. Go search.:cool:

Nah... not by that name so maybe you "left" and had to re-invent yourself.

I still think Sharkrider deserves an apology but if he isn't too bothered then I'll move on....

People need to take it easy someone's opinion doesn't mean it's right and can't call people thick etc. because of a post on forum.

On a nother note i see many problems occur with the EGR. Do people have a rough price on how much a new one is (i can get trade prices at euro parts etc.) and how long they take to replace.

There is nothign wrong with mine just thinking i might change it for piece of mind if it isn;t going to cost the earth. oh and cheers for helpful posts people (y)

Regardless of what make or model of car I've owned, if the camshaft is belt driven I've always had it changed one or two services before the recommended one.

Yeh i re are hundreds of threads but i thought while this ones alive and kicking why not as prices change all of the time

cheers Georgios1976(y)

Yeh i re are hundreds of threads but i thought while this ones alive and kicking why not as prices change all of the time

cheers Georgios1976(y)

EGR is between £90 & £140, depends if you get one from Saab, Vauxhall or Fiat. (Edit... check with your chosen dealer... assume nothing!)

My EGR was £105. Fitting cost me £40 at my favourite local Independent garage. £145 all in, inc VAT. I also had a Service which was extra...

I got my old EGR back, and spent an hour or so thoroughly cleaning it out, it will go back on next time... and so on.

Basically what seems a simple question can be anything but, so I broke it down for you.

Last edited:
Back