Technical 1.9 JTDM Sporting (Prob 1) Starting problems (check glow plugs error)

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 JTDM Sporting (Prob 1) Starting problems (check glow plugs error)

stevietease

Guys,

I was given a 56 plate 1.9JTDM sporting a while back and after many late nights have managed to get it tested and back on the road.
Everything is ok running wise but i have a couple of random problems i need a heads up with.

Cold starting:
Turn the key, wait for the glow plug dash light to go out (about 5secs) and the lifter pump to stop (about 3 secs later), start the car and 90% of the time it will start first flick of the key.
The other 10% it might take 2or3 times or might take 10!

Warm starting:
Turn the key, wait for the glow plug dash light to go out (flicks on and straight off) and the lifter pump to stop (a few secs later), start the car and its hit and miss whether it starts or takes 10 attempts!

Whether warm or cold and whether it starts first time or not i always get the 'check glow plugs' warning on the dash and the flashing glow plug light.

Ive recently changed all 4 glow plugs for new gen Bosch ones and also changed the controller/module (black one bolted to the bulkhead) again for a new gen Bosch one.
When i had the plugs out i tested each on to see if it lit up and each one glowed cherry red after about 5 seconds so im happy with the wiring from controller to plugs.
Also changed the big bolt on fuse on the battery that feeds the contoller/module and checked the wiring between.
I also noticed that the car battery was tiny AH and cranking amps wise so fitted the biggest i could get my hands on that fit in the bay. (75am/h 660 cranking amps)

Not sure if it could be connected to the problem but the car has always run very cold (just under 1/4 on the temp gauge)

Not sure where to look now?

Any suggestions?

Guys,

I was given a 56 plate 1.9JTDM sporting a while back and after many late nights have managed to get it tested and back on the road.
Everything is ok running wise but i have a couple of random problems i need a heads up with.

Cold starting:
Turn the key, wait for the glow plug dash light to go out (about 5secs) and the lifter pump to stop (about 3 secs later), start the car and 90% of the time it will start first flick of the key.
The other 10% it might take 2or3 times or might take 10!

Warm starting:
Turn the key, wait for the glow plug dash light to go out (flicks on and straight off) and the lifter pump to stop (a few secs later), start the car and its hit and miss whether it starts or takes 10 attempts!

Whether warm or cold and whether it starts first time or not i always get the 'check glow plugs' warning on the dash and the flashing glow plug light.

Ive recently changed all 4 glow plugs for new gen Bosch ones and also changed the controller/module (black one bolted to the bulkhead) again for a new gen Bosch one.
When i had the plugs out i tested each on to see if it lit up and each one glowed cherry red after about 5 seconds so im happy with the wiring from controller to plugs.
Also changed the big bolt on fuse on the battery that feeds the contoller/module and checked the wiring between.
I also noticed that the car battery was tiny AH and cranking amps wise so fitted the biggest i could get my hands on that fit in the bay. (75am/h 660 cranking amps)

Not sure if it could be connected to the problem but the car has always run very cold (just under 1/4 on the temp gauge)

Not sure where to look now?

Any suggestions?
Just a thought, even with the decent bigger battery does the starter spin the engine fast or has the starter seen better days, slow turning not getting the heat into the compressed air in the combustion chamber.
Though in fairness I can't see that being worse when engine hot.

Just a thought, even with the decent bigger battery does the starter spin the engine fast or has the starter seen better days, slow turning not getting the heat into the compressed air in the combustion chamber.
Though in fairness I can't see that being worse when engine hot.
The starter spins up fine pal, just the same with the older smaller battery i did think though that maybe it had something to do with it, possibly worn brushes or not a 100% earth somewhere that took the voltage away from the plugs when the starter engaged? The next time i have the snag im gonna try sticking the jump pack on it to see if it fires straight up.

The starter spins up fine pal, just the same with the older smaller battery i did think though that maybe it had something to do with it, possibly worn brushes or not a 100% earth somewhere that took the voltage away from the plugs when the starter engaged? The next time i have the snag im gonna try sticking the jump pack on it to see if it fires straight up.
So next update. ive tried various earth checks, battery to earth point, battery to engine, (without and whist engaging the starter) and everything seems ok (apart from one random time when trying to start the car when the resistance bounced 100 on the meter).
But i have noticed that when i add the jump pack and start it the 'check glow plugs' error and the flashing coil light doesnt appear.
So im deducing im on the right track with an electrical fault somewhere.
Ive got a couple of additional earth leads in the post so will fit them whilst cleaning every connector i can think of at the weekend.

So next update. ive tried various earth checks, battery to earth point, battery to engine, (without and whist engaging the starter) and everything seems ok (apart from one random time when trying to start the car when the resistance bounced 100 on the meter).
But i have noticed that when i add the jump pack and start it the 'check glow plugs' error and the flashing coil light doesnt appear.
So im deducing im on the right track with an electrical fault somewhere.
Ive got a couple of additional earth leads in the post so will fit them whilst cleaning every connector i can think of at the weekend.
As you say, you are starting to narrow it down.
Is there a volt drop at the ECU earthing point ?

Back