Technical 1.9 JTD smoke

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 JTD smoke

Hi again, as I cleaned the MAF performance did improve and I was still not satisfied with the results.

The next step was to clean the EGR valve and I left that job to the garage. They did clean it, and it was a bit better, but after a month or so, performance was reduced again.

I finally concluded that EGR would stuck open a bit from time to time, causing almost NO acceleration until 2000 RPM. I could notice that especially in 5th gear, when tried to accelerate hard. Nothing happens. Then I return to 4th gear, rev to 3000-3500, back to 5th and then it does accelerate. That led me to conclusion that something is stuck.

So I decided to block the EGR to see if it would help.
The good thing is that my EGR is 'electrical' and have a wire coming to it, so I disconnected it (instead of blocking the pipes). That instantly cured my problem and all symptoms of slugishenes are gone now. I am not going to connect that valve again.

So, MAF cleaned, EGR blocked and now it just goes as it should (y)

Last edited:
hi,

i did check with my EGC valve by removing the stainless steel pipe that connect it to intake manifold. at the intake end, there was a lot of sticking or sludge almost clogging up the pipe hold. on the EGC side was o.k. and dry.

then i vacumm the EGC valve with a hose to check if the valve is either stuck or not playing. it was o.k. and responding to vacumm.

so i just check the pipe and put it back. so far my JTD really pulling and able to reach 180kph as claimed in the spec. i guess it is performing as stock std.

anyone know if the valve clerance can be adjusted? manual says 0.35mm. by the way, what kind of bolt and nuts fiat is using? it looks like torx by not it. some alley key is find. where can i get fiat tools online?

who else make v-belt for fiat beside Dayco? my next item is to 'silence' down the engine sound and roughness. valve clearance is one of them.

Back