1.9 JTD glowplug error and starting problem.

Currently reading:
1.9 JTD glowplug error and starting problem.

stevietease

Guys,
Ive got a snag starting my 1.9 JTD Punto (2005)
It takes ages to fire and then gives a 'check glow plugs' error.
Ive checked the relay connector to plugs lead with a multimeter and get 1.2ohms on all 4 wires, ive also changed the relay for a new gen one but still get the same problem.
When i turn the key the glow plug lamp on the dash only illuminates for a second and then goes straight out regardless of whether the car is started from cold or warm.
The battery box relay fuse has also been checked and is good also so the relay is getting a feed.
Ive tried spraying all the connectors with elec cleaner and putting back together but no difference.
To me it can only be the wiring to the relay or some type of ECU fault now?
Not sure where to look now so any advice will be greatly received.
Cheers and TIA

Last edited:
So, a bit of an update:
Ive taken the connectors off the plugs and using a new glow plug earthed to the engine turned on the ignition. The plug heated straight up and glowed cherry red after about 6 seconds till about 12 seconds when the relay shut off.
I had a set of new Bosch plugs sat on the shelf so replaced the first one and tried the old glow plug on its connector, earthed to the engine and the same thing happened but i did notice that it took a lot longer to get to cherry red, probs about 11 seconds just before the relay shut off.
I did the same with each one in turn and each time checking the glow plug dash light and error message and it was the same for all of them.
The Bosch ones glow in half the time of the other ones i had in it.
So now all 4 glow plugs are new Bosch ones.
The glow plug light still comes on and goes straight out regardless of whether the car is started from hot or cold and the error message to check glow plugs is still there.....
However comma: If i leave the key on ignition for roughly a count of 10seconds then engage the starter it starts mint every time but i have noticed a puff of smoke (unburnt fuel) just the one and not a lot as if starts.
Ive had the battery off for about 30mins after changing the plugs to see if that would clear any gremlins but the error is still there.

Plan is to take it out for a few runs over the weekend to see if anything magically clears!

Have to checked the glow plug controller/module
If your have all new plugs and there's still issue's that would be the next place to look

If thats the black box fixed on the bulkhead with a 10mm nut Chris then yeah thats new also and ive checked its heating all 4 plugs pal

I have a similar problem with my 2007 doblo cargo 1.9d multijet, I’ve tested each glowplug impedance via the relay plug at between 1.3 & 1.4 ohms, I’m thinking of replacing the relay box but from your experience it seems it may not be that. Any advice would be helpful?

Back