1.9 16V JTD EGR valve / restrictor operation

Currently reading:
1.9 16V JTD EGR valve / restrictor operation

320.000km= 200.000mls = causing excessive pollution and still illegal
frown.gif

Silky smooth and very powerful engine, only Shell V-Power diesel fuel and 100% synthetic Castrol Engine oil, makes the decatted and blanked of EGR car producing less pollution, than many heavy black smoking diesel cars with clogged up inlet and malfunctioning EGR systems...!!
And that's legal....??

Last edited:
The fact that a restrictor plate is needed, indicates how bad the system is designed in the first place....!!
Many cars drive around without this modification, producing lot's of (legal) extra pollution....
Glad that I'm not one of them...!!

Last edited:
The type or quality of fuel and oil used will not compensate for the disabling of the EGR valve. The emissions control on a modern engine is a system which relies on all its parts. It's not smoke we are talking about here, but oxides of nitrogen which have a big local impact. While you may have had reliable running, the higher combustion temperatures caused by blanking the EGR can cause valve and piston damage.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Robert G8RPI.

Did you experience piston and/or valve damage yourself, or is it just from hearsay...??
I drive my blanked Alfa on a regular base on the German, no speedlimit motorways to visit (classic) car exhibitions in Essen.
Average speeds of around 100-110 mls per hour are normal during those trips, sometimes much faster as well.
Apart from an occasional blown turbo hose, nothing goes wrong at all.
So again, explain please...!!
Btw, we just came back from a long round trip in Sweden, Norway and Denmark, 2500mls in total, again, without any problems...and the rear of the car is spotless clean..
With a working EGR this is not always the case so to speak...

Last edited:
Peter, regards the merits of your egr etc, how many bhp do you get my 04 1.9jtd doblo is std 105 bhp, I have wondered about ecu remap, I dont want to destroy engine though, its on 101 k. Neil.

My 2004 Alfa GT 1,9 jtd has something between 150- 160HP, but the 1,9 jtd can handle 180 HP without problems.
There was an official 1,9 jtd version, only for the French market, with 170HP from the factory...
Milage is no real issue, if the engine is OK, a remap will do no harm at all.
Remember, brakes, clutch etc. will have a harder life, if you use the car to the max...

Back