Technical 1.4 Stilo metal noise

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4 Stilo metal noise

HornetUK

Established member
When idiling my car is making a metal on metal type noise every couple of minutes, it sounds like it is coming from the cambelt area.

Car is 6 years old and had new cambelt 13 months ago.

Any ideas? Drives fine and can only hear when idiling and outside car listening, seems to also do cold or warm.

Had another listen it is more like a chirp noise every 30 seconds or so. I held a rod to the cambelt casing to my ear and could only hear the belt noise as usual the 'chirp' wasn't from there sounds like lower down, is this water pump noise / cat conv.?

No jokes about chirping birds please!

Thanks

Booked in for a weeks time.

Any experts know if chirping noise when hot or cold likely water pump?

As cam done 12 months ago with tensioners.

Hey Horney..you dont say which model you have ..the 1.6 is the only one in the range that doesnt use the cam belt to run the water pump ..so if you have any of the others then it could well be the pump intermittently picking up [jamming up/sticking] bad new as you had the cam belt done not so long ago cos if the pump fails then it could not only take the cam belt out but knacker the engine at the same time..if you got a 1.6 then it will be a pain in the bum if if does go but at least wont take the engine with it..small consolation I know but be grateful for small mercies..;)

Great so if it goes on my 1.4 it will likely be same as cam belt going? Not good:(

What else could a chirping be every min or so when hot or cold? It is a quick 1 second noise and then does again 30 secs to 2 mins later when idiling.

When I had cam done in 2009 I said about water pump but garage said checked when 'in there' and all looked good so not changed! This is a very good fiat indy too!

Last edited:
Car in garage today, wouldn't do the noise! It has done it everyday for 2 weeks to and from work, same distance to garage nothing!

Now I explained noise and they agreed could be water pump issue. Asked why they didnt change when they did cambelt last year they said they always check the pump when changing cambelt and if fine they leave it alone!

Should I now have the pump changed as safer than leaving, as they say can't hear the problem! But 100% done it for 2 weeks! Presume when they do pump they can check all cambelt again?

Garage just called was water pump. Changed £140.

My cambelt was changed a year ago, is it OK they have left the old one on? Does it come off when fitting the water pump? I thought they shouldn't be reused once removed?

Thanks

Back