Technical 1.2 overheat and no warm heater

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 overheat and no warm heater

Scorg

Established member
Hey all
Noticed that the car was taken its time to heat up, was sticking at the first 8th point for longer then normal, before it would move from their to the usual just under half point, but shortly after when getting upto speed it was showing signs of overheating, went as far as the first dot above the half way, before settling down to half again when taking it easy.

Had the water noise from behind the dash area I have noticed over the past two days as well.
Also had no heat coming from the heater today.
Saw some other threads on here mentioning about the termostat and to bleed the system. Where is the Thermostat located and the bleed points, where would these be on the 1.2 ?

As you should have seen there are numerous threads and answers on the forum about exactly this issue on the 1.2, all the information is there if you look and learn. However..

Thermostat is at the side of the engine block with a hose going in and a hose going out. But I doubt this is the problem.

The bleed points are at the top of the radiator (probably don't need to do this) and the black plastic slotted "wheels" on the hoses going to and from the heater, in front of the bulkhead on the passenger side (one is on an extension). With the engine running and heater on bleed the one without the exxtension first, then the return hose (with the extension). Don't top up with too much water, and check the colour of the stuff that comes out.

Once you've topped up and bled, plan on properly flushing and changing the coolant in the near future.

Thanks for replying, I did look, I seriously did but none answered the part where the thermostat was located on the 1.2 so I started this thread as a confirmation and for a bit of piece of mind for myself.

Fair idea regarding the compression test, best find out if worst case scenario is the issue or not.

The whole idea of checking and maintaining the cooling system (bleeding, topping up, flushing, replacing fluid) is to save yourself the aggravation of getting a compression test done just to confirm that you have blown the head gasket by running with insufficient, weak and manky old coolant.

This car shows classic symptoms of low coolant and air in the system, sorting this should confirm that the thermostat is fine and the heater works again.

where the thermostat was located on the 1.2 .

Beside the battery under the coil pack. Top hose on the radiator goes to it :)

Image06271.jpg

Image0778.jpg

Blimey, cheers for that! that was exactly the info I was looking for :)

But alas its not looking good, had the compression test done and one cylinder has lost compression, so thats looking like worse case scenaro and a job we are not willing to go through with the car, Although she can go to a new home if someone is feeling upto the job.

Back