Technical 07 multipla 1.9 smoking on hard acceleration

Currently reading:
Technical 07 multipla 1.9 smoking on hard acceleration

multiplaconvert

Been a good car, bought cheap and invested in a new rear subframe and clutch when the hydraulics failed. Bastard oil light flashes and my garage can't reset it. Reliable, good MPG runs well and fast but when driven hard becomes noisy and smokey. Revs well on light load with no smoke but above 2800 if accelerating hard it "hides" the traffic behind. Also runs very cool. Heater barely tepid and seldom more than 1 bar on the temp graph. Love this car and was much better when first bought. Does gentle driving make it "lazy"?

I'm a bit surprised to read your post:

In order for any of our venerable learned colleagues to offer any assistance they need an idea of what they are dealing with...

You haven't given any idea of miles already done, normal day to day use, operation of the vehicle or servicing history, these are factors that will determine the condition of your chariot and subsequently the suggestions from fellow forumites to cure your sick baby...

i.e: local short runs to school or shops is far worse than a gallop or two down the motorway: short runs don't allow the engine to get warm enough to get the cat in action to burn off any residual oil or fuel, don't forget that when the car gets 'warmed up' everything works smoother and as it was designed to do.

Also, don't forget that the harder you shove the 'go' pedal the more fuel you throw into the injectors = more fuel to burn on low or rising rpm whilst the turbo is spinning up = more **** being let out the back.

I'd be inclined to assume that you take good care of servicing (oil, diesel and air filters changed at regular intervals) so can only suggest that you may need to have your high pressure pump and injectors checked for both spray atomisation and pressure output.

If your HP pump or injectors are out of spec that can lead to poor spray patterns and poor burns, leading to sooty exhaust.

Your low water temperature is down to either lack of water (don't laugh, I've seen it) temp sensor or water pump shot.

This is all conjecture without any solid info from you. You have to help us to help you.

Cheers
George

Thanks George. Very remiss of me. Its done around 140K. I only use it for work journeys and it is generally driven gently. Probably 70-80 miles a week. I've just been on a journey of 150 miles or so all in and it seems better. Little smoke even when pushed towards the end so perhaps it is just the cat clearing. Still getting 47.7 MPG. I haven't changed the air filter but I have run it briefly with the element out in case it was restricting flow. No improvement. OIl may not be changed as often as needed but so possibly due for a swap, with a new filter of course. I dismissed the fuel filter as if that was restricted it would be lean and so shouldn't cause smoke. Injectors are as bought some years ago but checked recently for flow back etc before cam change. (A lobe wore down!) During 150 miles it eventually got 2 bars on thermometer. So perhaps a thermostat? Although a previous multipla was the same. I like this car so much I'd even consider a new engine. But then the iron worms are catching up with it.
Thanks for your advice in getting the best from the helpers. Do say if I've left anything out.

Back