General 04 stilo estate

Currently reading:
General 04 stilo estate

Quiz

My Wife has a Stilo Estate, red one, looks like a bus and drives like one too.
The car has developed 2 faults that I would like some advise on please.

The 1st is that the steering has play in it. By this I mean you have to turn the steering wheel a bit more than usual before anything happens.
The car was doing this when it went into the Dealer for an MOT, but they never picked up on it.
The other fault is that the headlight dipped beam does not work, both lights but the raise lower motor runs continuously when dipped beam is selected. Side and main beam works ok. This fault only started yesterday.
Any ideas?
The car has done 85k miles.

My Wife has a Stilo Estate, red one, looks like a bus and drives like one too.

:eek: don't expect any help from mWagon owners now :ROFLMAO:

1) could be steering column/joint - this was a common fault (i.e. manufacturing defect) - see if your stilo was fixed (although i'm not sure if this applies to a 04 model? think it's up to 04.. so could be) could be something else.. either way take it to your usual garage as this needs to be fixed asap

2) adjustment motors need replacing.. either get through fiat (they do sell them as part of a replacement cluster) or from a VW dealer (yes it’s a VW part and they sell just the motor) - use search to find the part number you need (another stilo owner has kindly provided this info some time ago)

Thanks 12x but would the light adjustment motor stop the headlights from coming on?

no they would just be at their lowest position (or whatever position it got stuck on) but should still work
my bad (appears i skimmed some of your post :eek:):
1) check the corresponding fuses (sorry no idea what they are as i've never had this problem)
2) check bulbs
3) check wiring and connection

2) adjustment motors need replacing.. either get through fiat (they do sell them as part of a replacement cluster) or from a VW dealer (yes it’s a VW part and they sell just the motor) - use search to find the part number you need (another stilo owner has kindly provided this info some time ago)

Thanks 12x but would the light adjustment motor stop the headlights from coming on?

Nope. Remove plug from the back of the headlamp unit and re-connect to check its on properly.

If you need new motors (if noise continues), they look like this (y)

Photo1297.jpg

Photo1296.jpg

Right hand one is Stilo one (for part number on stick, I assume thats what it is) one on left is from a 2004 Panda, but is working fine in my Stilo headlamp units.

Photo1298.jpg

Photo1300.jpg

track rod end.JPG
For steering slackness check your track rod ends. RH side seems to go first. Mine went at 30k miles but the lh one is still original after 80k miles. Have a look at the joint whilst someone rocks the steering. They have to be very worn before it's regarded as an MOT fail.They're very easy to replace with a ball joint splitter but you'll need to check your tracking afterwards

For both dipped lights not working check for power at the wire to the bulb connectors. A "stab wire" type circuit tester is good for testing without have to dismantle anything
Got power? Then it's the bulbs. Not unheard of for both bulbs to go at once. If they keep going then there's a mod i believe to cure an unstable voltage
No power? Check the fuses F12 and F13 both 15a

Last edited:
For both dipped lights not working check for power at the wire to the bulb connectors. A "stab wire" type circuit tester is good for testing without have to dismantle anything
Got power? Then it's the bulbs. Not unheard of for both bulbs to go at once. If they keep going then there's a mod i believe to cure an unstable voltage
No power? Check the fuses F12 and F13 both 15a[/QUOTE]

your right, both bulbs were gone so has £75 at the dealers.
Going back tomorrow to have the adjustment motor changed (they never had one in stock today.
Thanks for your help.

Back