Technical 0.9l / 1.1l top gear motorway revs & gearing

Currently reading:
Technical 0.9l / 1.1l top gear motorway revs & gearing

dante giacosa

Can anyone say- from both sides of the fence-

what they see in revs at motorway speeds in top gear..?

I'm interested in the motorway-rev speed of the 900cc and the 1.1 litre engines.

Thanks

Titch, the Younger Mrs S' Cinquecento is off the road needing some welding but from memory I think it turned over 3400rpm at an indicated 70mph.

The speedo' on Cinqses isn't all that accurate though - I think it's only provided to give the driver a general idea, rather than an accurate speed. :D

Ralf S.

No rev counter on the 900cc, but at motorway speeds your foot will be flat to the floor. 3400 doesn't sound too far wrong.....

70mph satnav seems to be ~77mph indicated here.

I put a put a rev counter on my 899 Cinq using a Sporting dash with the original 899 speedo fitted into it.

Can't remember what the what the RPM was at 70MPH though.

Hey David-

so; you are saying the dash off the 'Sporting just 'plugged into' the loom from the 899cc car? But that you swapped the speedometer within the cluster?
Is that right? (that's very interesting to me)

3800rpm- thanks Tommd13 :)

Hey David-

so; you are saying the dash off the 'Sporting just 'plugged into' the loom from the 899cc car? But that you swapped the speedometer within the cluster?
Is that right? (that's very interesting to me)

3800rpm- thanks Tommd13 :)
Yes.
But it depends which 899 dash you have to start with.
Very early 899 used a different size speedo with the warning lights in a group on the left.
Most 899 though had the same size speedo as the Sporting, so you can get a Sporting instrument cluster and swap the 899 speedo into it to keep milage correct.
You need to wire a feed for the revcounter from the fuel pump relay.

See:
https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecen...90-how-fit-rev-counter-cento-without-one.html

thanks for that, David-

wire a feed for the revcounter from the fuel pump relay

do you mean a positive feed- from the fuel pump relay?

Or do you mean a speedo-pulse to generate indicated revs? (from the fuel pump relay?)

I've got a little red book (in Italian) on the Cinquecento, which although it doesn't incorporate the 1.1 engine, goes into great detail over a two-cylinder flat-transverse power unit which is 704cc (???!!!) and the 0.9 litre.

I think the 0.9 litre (if I'm interpreting it correctly) generates 41hp @ 5400 rpm.

(sorry- I missed that link; thanks for including that; I'll read through it)

Last edited:
thanks for that, David-

wire a feed for the revcounter from the fuel pump relay

do you mean a positive feed- from the fuel pump relay?

Or do you mean a speedo-pulse to generate indicated revs? (from the fuel pump relay?)

I've got a little red book (in Italian) on the Cinquecento, which although it doesn't incorporate the 1.1 engine, goes into great detail over a two-cylinder flat-transverse power unit which is 704cc (???!!!) and the 0.9 litre.

I think the 0.9 litre (if I'm interpreting it correctly) generates 41hp @ 5400 rpm.

(sorry- I missed that link; thanks for including that; I'll read through it)
It is all covered in here:
https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecen...er-cento-without-one-gars2.html#content_start

Ah-

Thanks David- that link above seemed to make reference to a guide which wasn't there- until a notated version appeared later in the thread.

I can see that THIS, is the guide

Back